Switching handlebars: Solutions for quick cable interchange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snazpizaz

Hi
This might be a long shot and i'm appealing to the imagination or know-how more than anything.

I'm creating about 3 different handlebars i want to be able to switch between on my bike.
Each already has it's break/gear/grip/bell mounted which are mounted in different locations on what are different length handlebars. That said the differences distance wise is relatively close in terms of toleration of a single cable length.

Is there any way i can keep the brake and gear cables which are permanently mounted on the bike frame in place and switch between my handlebars without having to unwire the cables from the actual brake/gear levers ?

Does some kind of adpator/connector/quick attachment fixture exist which would simply allow me to connect a set of short installed cable lengths coming off my handlebar directly with the cables which are secured to the bike frame ?
If not does anyone have the know-how to propose a hack or mod to achieve this ?

i hope that's clear ! Basically i want to just join the ends of cable together in a snap/close/ release mechanism rather than delve into the guts of handlebar levers each time i switch the handlebars.

thanks for your feedback folks
sp

CXRAndy

Guru
Flat or drop handlebars?

I reckon it will be nigh impossible to achieve a clean simple solution.

simon.r

Person
I think brake cables may be relatively straightforward, given the way the inners fit into the levers.

For gear levers the only way I can think of is to leave a few inches of inner in each lever then connect it to the inner already on the bike, but I’m not aware of anything that’s designed to connect inners in this way. You’d also need to overcome the problem of having some sort of stop for the outer.

Edit - would this do the job?

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sturmey-Archer-Spares-Cable-Gear/dp/B06Y1XW83R/ref=pd_day0_hl_200_1/257-3979112-2676842?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06Y1XW83R&pd_rd_r=a0199ff8-6df2-4d58-a1ac-e84d2776cebf&pd_rd_w=BBT9d&pd_rd_wg=woaLt&pf_rd_p=41dbe6ca-a21b-4cfc-8629-394c3728d27a&pf_rd_r=K5DQCPNMJGG6JKNZ16HD&psc=1&refRID=K5DQCPNMJGG6JKNZ16HD

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Think you might struggle with this plan.

You might be able to make a joiner, and then nipple the cable ends so they can be disconnected easily.

There's nothing I know of which will allow you to QR both inner and outer at the same time. However, these connectors allow you to join the inners (brake or gear). So (presuming you have slotted stops on your frame) you could set each set of bars up with a length of outer running to each frame stop and the tail of each inner have one half of the connector on it. It would then simply (in theory) be a case of unscrewing the four cable connectors, whipping off the bars (including the four primary lengths of control cable) and then fitting the new set of bars, screwing the 4 cable connectors together and away you go.

You'll want some inline cable adjusters - or extremely good cable cutting accuracy. Particularly for the rear derailleur cable. And they're not cheap. You'll require four (@ £15 each) for each set of bars.

1576442814027.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

hi thanks

Those suggestions are the kind of thing i'm hoping might work - that said - i have no idea what those things are or do or how they work.
Jargon buster:
  1. Cable splitter - That looks like something i was imagining would do the job
  2. 4 slotted stops - Not sure what this is exactly but i understand it refers to end of wires coming from bike frame
  3. tail of each inner - Is this the end of the wires fixed to the handlebars ?
  4. inner - Does this mean the wire ?
  5. outer - does this mean the wire casing ?
  6. Cable gear link - Not sure what this does , how it works or where it goes
  7. Joiner - ?
  8. Easy disconnecting nippled cable ends - ?
If you have time could you advice further on these or link to a resource which shows them illustrated ?
That said, i think i can see the logic in mickle's explanation on cable splitter. That does indeed look like something which might work.

FYI to add:
The handlebar sizes are quite close but the shapes vary. On the Toulouse i want the swept back grips to house the gear and brake lever.
One of the issues is that the twist gear handle i want to install on the Toulouse has a different end to the Brompton gear lever housing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sturmey-Arch ... 0625.m3682
and
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/componen ... lsrc=aw.ds
So switching the gear wire between these two isn't an option.

It's this fundamental different which is driving me towards this idea.
sp

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

no - i think the cable splitter you flagged up may be the way to go - see above post

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

I'd say no to both because (price aside):

On a Brompton, positioning those type of handlebar so they are closer to the rider decreases the over all width of the bar and on a Brompton that introduces unstable steering issues.
I've looked at a wide range of bars, including the 2nd one you mention and the Toulouse will work on a Brompton very well. It fits the folding width and height without increasing reducing handlebar width.
I've looked further into the cable splitter pathway and not only is it far cheaper but it's doable and there are examples online to follow. I need a clearer idea of the way the cable order will work once everything is threaded but that's about it.
sp

12boy

Guru
Look at Ritchey or Problem Solvers chain splitters. I would think Moulton or take apart Ritchey and bikes equipped with S & S couplers would all use these.

Top Bottom