Switching to disc brakes - worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

Sorry, on a road bike a complete and utter waste of time. Even in the wettest conditions, a simple v-brake with good pads can easily outbrake the tyre.

Disk brakes will not improve your traction!

I use Shimano LX with Coolstop salmons on my commuter, the fact it's wet is barely noticeable when braking at all. Then there is the problem with fixing disc brakes in the field; it isn't always possible, which instantly means end of ride.

I have them on my MTB and I appreaciate their ability to not get clogged up with crap, this is probably more useful in the wet and muddy UK than anywhere. However I get annoyed with leaks and having to bleed them every few months.

I'd advise you to spend a tenner on better quality brake pads; even no brand cheap v's are pretty effective with these. Then invest an hour setting them up "just right".

Presumably discs would need a different set of levers - currently I have an integrated thing where the brake and gear levers are part of the same unit so therefore I would also need a new gear lever set up

I think its sounding like too much hassle...

papercorn2000

Cable discs need the same amount of pull as V-brakes, hydraulics however are a totally different system and the levers are not interchangeable. Road levers don't pull enough cable to activate the discs properly so you need a different, specially designed lever (e.g. there's a Cane Creek one) or a road-specific cable disc (Avid BB7 road).

vbc

Putting the cable discs on my hybrid was pretty easy, used the same levers and cables and the set up was reasonably easy - they'll need a bit of adjustment after a while. As I said before, if you've got a gratis pair of disc wheels then go for it.

It seems that the 'discs on roadies are rubbish' school are working on the assumption that the road is clean. Try commuting on back roads that are thick with filth and slurry from farm vehicles. After you've watched your rims being eaten by the resulting grinding paste (and replaced your blocks with ridiculous frequency) you'll be wanting discs.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Can you actually get disks on a roadie?

Sorry to go a bit OT, its just I was wondering the other day why road bikes don't have them.

Sure they're a tad heavier, but better surely???

Panter said:
Can you actually get disks on a roadie?

Sorry to go a bit OT, its just I was wondering the other day why road bikes don't have them.

Sure they're a tad heavier, but better surely???
The main problem is getting forks. There aren't many that will take discs and they tend to be heavy steel touring forks. I'd love to have discs on my commuter but it has an old fashioned 1" threaded steerer and it's nigh impossible to find forks for it. Other than that it's the extra weight and the image (roadies are a very old fashioned bunch).

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Cool, thanks for that :biggrin:

Do you think they'll make an impact in the future? they're the way forward, surely.

I appreciate the finite tyre traction element, but the less lever effort required, the more comfortable braking would be?

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's about a 500gm weight penalty if going from cantis to discs so combined with the very good reasons discussed above, no, I don't think discs will make it onto mainstream road bikes.

papercorn2000

I think they will: you can have lighter rims therefor less rotating weight; better performance in the wet; they can be made lighter - carbon or ceramic braking discs. I reckon we'll be seeing them soon on higher end racers.

NickM

Veteran
One "pro" for disc brakes on a commuter which has not been mentioned is that you won't get that grey crap from brake blocks all over your forks and seatstays every time you ride in the wet.

One "con" is that rigid forks built for disc brakes are even rigider, so you'll probably need to reduce front tyre pressure (or fit a wider section tyre) to compensate, and this might make the bike feel less lively.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I am certainly happy with the Hope Minis on my MTB, they really are "fit and forget" brakes. The pads last for many months, they work brilliantly in all conditions and above all they are made in Lancashire so I'm supporting a very good local business.

Tynan

Veteran
my now sadly scrapped £600 Cannondale hybrid had discs, LBS said and they were right that they were a bit better in the wet because the discs don't pick as much water and crap as the rims, I found that there was less of a difference in the wet

not a massive difference though, and the front one used to pick up crap and get a bit noisy on a regular basis

Top Bottom