Switching up a gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I tend to cycle in a 'comfortable' gear, so that I could carry on for half an hour without any problem, and if I switched to a faster gear I would get tired of pushing harder within a few minutes and have to change back down again.

But what training can I do to make that faster gear into the comfortable gear? My cardio is pretty good, so is it leg strength training? Reps of weights, or more cardio with a higher resistance?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Try upping your cadence in the 'comfortable' gear before changing up so as to be at your 'normal' cadence after the shift.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Try upping your cadence in the 'comfortable' gear before changing up so as to be at your 'normal' cadence after the shift.

The thread title is maybe misleading, but it's maintaining a cadence at the higher gear that I find difficult, rather than the change itself.

I guess the easiest answer is 'don't change back down' :smile: , but if there are things I can do in the gym that will help my push harder on the bike then I can alter my workout to address that.

Citius

I tend to cycle in a 'comfortable' gear, so that I could carry on for half an hour without any problem, and if I switched to a faster gear I would get tired of pushing harder within a few minutes and have to change back down again.

But what training can I do to make that faster gear into the comfortable gear? My cardio is pretty good, so is it leg strength training? Reps of weights, or more cardio with a higher resistance?

You don't say how much riding you do currently, so the easy answer might just be to cycle more and cycle more regularly. Either way, going faster requires you to sustain a higher effort for a longer period. If you are already riding regularly, then try riding for shorter periods at higher intensity on a regular basis, in order to give your aerobic/cv system a kick up the ar5e. But generally, the more regularly you ride, the fitter you become and the more effort you can sustain.

Nothing to do with leg strength or gym work.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The thread title is maybe misleading, but it's maintaining a cadence at the higher gear that I find difficult, rather than the change itself.

I guess the easiest answer is 'don't change back down' :smile: , but if there are things I can do in the gym that will help my push harder on the bike then I can alter my workout to address that.
Have you tried changing the cassette to a tighter ratio one, i.e. one with only 1 tooth difference between each gear. Nicknamed a 'corncob' cassette they tend to be a bit more expensive (not as commonly made/stocked) but that would give you more of a chance at pulling a higher gear.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...cOOx1OLmLudXiK9NsV43M_w&bvm=bv.96042044,d.bGg

Citius

I don't see how that would work. Either the OP can sustain a higher effort (ie a higher gear at a similar cadence) or he can't. Changing to a closer ratio cassette (assuming he hasn't already got one) won't make a jot of difference either way. If going faster was simply a matter of changing gearing, we'd all do it.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I can see what Raleigh Nut is sayin - maybe the steps between my gears are too high for me to maintain, but if there was an intermediate gear that might become my new comfortable gear. I think the current one is moving from a 15 to a 13 on the rear cassette. Not worth changing cassettes over though.

I commute 5 miles each way and do the occasional longer route, so when I ride home tonight I'll see how long I can last in the higher gear.

Citius

Improving fitness is about getting out of your comfort zone and working harder. If you're only riding five miles at a time, then some longer regular routes would be useful.

Top Bottom