Syd White frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Just curiosity really. When was coming out of a physio appointment the other day I saw a bike leaning against the wall outside. I'm assuming another patient, although I didn't see anyone in cycling gear. The frame had the name 'Syd White' (or it might have been 'Sid Whyte') in block letters on the downtube. It was a proper old-fashioned touring frame, probably 60s/70s, horizontal top tube, nice lugs, painted in a battered black with white decals. Drop bars with worn cloth tape, bar-end shifters, non-aero levers, tatty canvas saddlebag and bar bag. It looked really old and really well-loved - somebody's million-mile daily drive. All the components were alloy, rather knocked about and highly polished with use rather than Solvol. I fell in love with it there and then, but sadly didn't have my phone with me to take a photo.

I grew up in Leeds, surrounded by Bob Jacksons, Woodrups and Ellis Briggs, but Syd White was a name I had never come across before. Google turns up precisely nothing. Just out of curiosity, I wondered if anyone knew of this builder. This seemed a good place to ask. I'm assuming it is nothing to do with the modern firm Whyte, who have only been going since 1994.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
new one on me shame no picture

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Yes, kicking myself that for once I had left my phone at home. I guess there must have been a million small one-man builders over the years, each with their name on a few frames here and there. I'd never heard of this name before. You could have used this bike for the Wikipedia definition of 'patina'.

Top Bottom