Symbols on Computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Years ago, using Lotus, if you held (I think) the control key down and punched in a 3 digit number you would get a non-standard symbol / letter like these

¤ ¥ ¦ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ · ¸ ¹ º » ½ ¾ À ¿ Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç ã â á à Ú Ù Ø × Ö Õ Ô Ó Ò Ñ Ð Ï Î Í Ì Ë Ê É È ä å

â ç é è œ ë

ñ á é í ó ú

ä ë ü ö ß

appear in your text.

How do you do this on XP ?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Within a programme (Word, for example) you can go to "Insert" (oo'er missus) then "Symbol". Is that what you mean?

Alcdrew

goto start/programs/accessories/system tools/character map

this will let you copy and paste the symbols and tell you which keys to press to get them

Shaun

Founder
Or you can hold down ALT and press the four number combo to add it directly. E.g.;

ALT + 0189 = ½
ALT + 0149 = •
ALT + 0169 = ©
ALT + 0191 = ¿

etc.

Cheers,
Shaun

Pete

I believe that holding down ALT while you type a three-digit combo is sufficient - depends what application you're running (it works for posts on this forum, under IE: Çüéâ...etc.), but you must use the numeric pad on the right of the keyboard, not the numbers at the top of the QWERTY pad; and make sure the NUMLOCK lamp is lit.

I generally find that the characters which map to Code Page 850 come up. Does not seem to work for Unicode.

[edit]I stand corrected: if you type a 4-digit sequence as Shaun suggested, you do seem to get unicode :blush:.

domtyler

Über Member
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Crumbs - just how does anyone remember all those codes as Admin has shown us? Help my brain is going to go bang:blush:

You might find it easier to get a list somewhere on t'internet and store it in your faves for reference than to actually memorise all 6000 symbols. Just a suggestion.

Shaun

Founder
Back in the early days of the internet I used to spend a lot of time on IRC and in one room in particular we used a lot of these - some of them seem to have stuck :blush:

Top Bottom