T***o drivers "need" to break the law!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, must admit, it's a nightmare at times and seems to be getting worse. From my own experience it's car drivers who park on pavements causing all sorts of mayhem and apparently there is a growing number of drivers who believe it's okay to use the pavement as an escape route in a traffic jam. The Tesco thing is a distraction for me, the problem goes far deeper than that.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Where to start? One of our neighbours gets their groceries delivered from Tesco and the drivers simply abandon the van wherever it suits, blocking the path or the road. And the racket their drivers make unloading a weeks shopping has to be heard to be believed - none of the other supermarket deliveries come close to them for slamming doors, rattling racking or clattering cages.

Oh, and it's not just their vans drivers who park inconsiderately. There is a Tesco Metro on my way to work that has double yellow lines outside it due to the narrowness of the road - yet their articulated lorry drivers just stick on the hazards and block the road. Some mornings there can be a 1/4 mile of queuing traffic struggling to get past the obstruction.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
What were the planners doing allowing a store there if their is no parking provision for deliveries?

It's a bone of contention. The development was originally planned as 3 separate shop units (hairdressers and the like were apparently suggested on the plans) with apartments above and a car park to the side accessible from another road that runs to the rear of the site - that's what got planning permission.
However, Tesco took all 3 units and knocked through to make one bigger shop.
Deliveries were meant to be via the car park and up a ramp to the store (the only access to the store is from the front), but never have as far as I'm aware.
Tesco apparently did a risk assessment on the ramp (which is also there to get the less able from the car park to the store) and apparently it's too steep to push delivery cages up and down, despite being used by people in wheelchairs and with prams regularly.
So Tesco took to rocking up and blocking one lane of a single carriageway A road within yards of a notoriously busy crossroads whenever it suited them to deliver, and because there was some debate about the wording on the signs that accompany the yellow lines, they seemed to get away with it - well, the council weren't very interested in any enforcement anyway.
After a lot of traffic chaos and a lot of protests Tesco apparently entered into an agreement that all deliveries to the store had to be before 7am or after 6pm but this appears to be routinely ignored - certainly I've queued to squeeze past their trucks well after 7am, but again the council seem reluctant to carry out any enforcement.
Complaints to Tesco get fobbed off and on one occasion they stopped just short of calling me a liar ('our store managers assures us that all delivery vehicles were well away by 7am this morning'), until I sent them time / date stamped dashcam footage... ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tesco apparently did a risk assessment on the ramp (which is also there to get the less able from the car park to the store) and apparently it's too steep to push delivery cages up and down, despite being used by people in wheelchairs and with prams regularly.
So Tesco took to rocking up and blocking one lane of a single carriageway A road within yards of a notoriously busy crossroads whenever it suited them to deliver, and because there was some debate about the wording on the signs that accompany the yellow lines, they seemed to get away with it - well, the council weren't very interested in any enforcement anyway.
After a lot of traffic chaos and a lot of protests Tesco apparently entered into an agreement that all deliveries to the store had to be before 7am or after 6pm but this appears to be routinely ignored - certainly I've queued to squeeze past their trucks well after 7am, but again the council seem reluctant to carry out any enforcement.
Complaints to Tesco get fobbed off and on one occasion they stopped just short of calling me a liar ('our store managers assures us that all delivery vehicles were well away by 7am this morning'), until I sent them time / date stamped dashcam footage... ;)
Well done on that.

I wonder if the lack of enforcement of planning conditions is because Tesco hire more expensive lawyers than most councils and have a reputation of fighting pretty much everything. :sad:

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
I wonder if the lack of enforcement of planning conditions is because Tesco hire more expensive lawyers than most councils and have a reputation of fighting pretty much everything. :sad:
After asking a Council Planning officer why Tesco had been allowed to open a newbuild store without complying with the planning permission in relation to the cycle parking he told me about another planning breach on the same building and said that attempting to enforce would be time consuming, expensive and in the long run useless:sad:.
(Or was he just a lazy git?)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He had considered the likely cost to the Council Tax payers of fighting the case and accepted the contribution to Council funding in order to bend the rules :sad:.
So shop them to the Local Government Ombudsman to try to rebalance the equation in favour of action. It sucks when it comes to that but it sometimes seems to :sad:

Top Bottom