T40 Wry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Finally my cage was well and truly rattled this morning by this useless piece of scum.

Gogar roundabout, coming off A8, round to exit roundabout at Gyle Broadway. I took primary in the lane which allows you to exit the roundabout in the left lane onto Gyle Broadway. It's a big enough roundabout to have traffic lights on it. I was moving at traffic speed on the roundabout but as me and this clown were last to get through the lights to allow us onto the roundabout, by the time we got to the next set, they were red. So I waited behind the line. I know the sequence of these so got clipped in when I knew they were about to change.

There's 2 lanes which exit the roundabout onto GB and as I said, I was in the left hand one. Traffic had queued up in the right while the lights were at red. That lot pulled away fine. I remained in primary until I was properly round the little corner and on GB.

The bloke in this Audi however pushed his way in between my primary position and the traffic in the right hand lane and with much engine revving then dived in front of me, forcing me to brake whilst exiting the roundabout. I consider myself a competent cyclist and I don't hang about or wobble away from junctions.

Now, I'm not a ranter and I do believe that most people on the road aren't out to get cyclists, but this incident made my blood boil. I'd have come off on a busy roundabout in rush hour had I not braked in time.

My immediate reaction was to shout at the top of my voice "YOU F**KING C**T!", and I then watched him drive off along the road praying he'd get caught in another queue so I could tell him how close he'd come to putting a Dad of 2 in hospital or worse the morgue, and all for the sake of maybe 5 seconds. But he didn't and in retrospect I'm glad as I'd have done something I shouldn't have. After the anger subsided I was a bit shaken but near the end of my commute.

Now it's back to anger.

:smile::angry::wacko::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Pete

Commiserations. Typical behaviour, the "why-should-that-****ing-cyclist-get-in-my-way?" attitude we all know.

A map would be helpful to get our bearings in understanding this manoeuvre - am I right in figuring out that this is the place, you were approaching from the west and turning south-east?

I loathe these large multi-lane roundabouts, too much of a temptation to that following car to overtake when there really isn't room. Something to put a stop to all same-lane overtaking on a roundabout - indeed at any junction, is what's needed...

Tynan

Veteran
Out with the bad, he likely cuts up cars just the same

anything you walk away from etc etc

domtyler

Über Member
I get incidents like this all the time in London, unfortunately it is just par for the course. :smile:

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Pete that's the one. I use it twice a day and haven't had any bother in a year if I assume primary, until today.

Dom, seriously? If that happened to me all the time I'd seriously reconsider cycle commuting. When you ARE riding assertively and confidently and competently but it makes not a jot of difference when someone CHOOSES to be a total nutcase behind the wheel. It certainly reminded me how vulnerable we are.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Tetedelacourse said:
If that happened to me all the time I'd seriously reconsider...

...carrying one of those little hammers for breaking safety glass...

Sorry to hear that TdlC, I know precisely what you mean about the rage thing, once I've calmed down I'm always worried about what I might have done in such a state...

NickM

Veteran
Tetedelacourse said:
...I then watched him drive off along the road praying he'd get caught in another queue so I could tell him how close he'd come to putting a Dad of 2 in hospital or worse the morgue, and all for the sake of maybe 5 seconds. But he didn't and in retrospect I'm glad as I'd have done something I shouldn't have....

Now it's back to anger.
Whereas if you'd caught the peanut, pulled him out of his tin can on wheels and given him the good hiding he deserved?

Sounds to me as though you need a little closure. I can't see anything wrong in getting it.

domtyler

Über Member
NickM said:
Whereas if you'd caught the peanut, pulled him out of his tin can on wheels and given him the good hiding he deserved?

Sounds to me as though you need a little closure. I can't see anything wrong in getting it.

Apart from the fact that it is perfectly legal and acceptable to bully, intimidate and assault cyclists when you are in your car but not the other way round. That would lead to a charge of assault.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Tetedelacourse said:
Pete that's the one. I use it twice a day and haven't had any bother in a year if I assume primary, until today.

Dom, seriously? If that happened to me all the time I'd seriously reconsider cycle commuting. When you ARE riding assertively and confidently and competently but it makes not a jot of difference when someone CHOOSES to be a total nutcase behind the wheel. It certainly reminded me how vulnerable we are.

I used to go stay on the road on that roundabout but now i just jump on the path, it just ain`t worth the hassle whether your right or wrong TBH.

domtyler

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:

What can you do about it? You just get used to it or give it up, which I do frequently consider, but then decide that I won't be bullied off the roads.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd let it go..... if you do catch up, the best thing is to be polite if you intend to confront them, otherwise ride past - it gets a different reaction than a screaming nutter gets.....

I generally let them go as it will only just hold me up.... I've mouthed the odd word to folk or put my hands up in a 'What' gesture rather than the 'banker' one....

Same happens when commuting by car, lots worse - I did it for about 9 years in between getting back into cycle commuting last August - you really do have to let them go, otherwise you'd be stressed out before getting to work. I now have a good laugh at these stressed drivers honking at each other....cos they aren't getting anywhere...just so funny to see the rage...all before you get into work - god help their colleagues....

MrGrumpy said:
I used to go stay on the road on that roundabout but now i just jump on the path, it just ain`t worth the hassle whether your right or wrong TBH.

I formed the opposite opinion, lol.

I only go this way 1 or 2 times a month, but after the first couple of times, I decided the road was a better bet than the path. I only go that way heading home (E to W) about 5:30pm.

Right enough I hate that junction just as much when I'm driving!

Angus

Top Bottom