Tacx and bluetooth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drunkenjoiner

Ok guys, my pain cave is virtually done. Tacx Flow Smart, Winter bike with trainer tyre on, detached garage with full power, lights, sockets etc.
Only thing not geared up is wifi. Cables etc run, access point ready but as yet not all connected up(awaiting network switch).
I note that the Tacx app connects to the trainer by bluetooth. Does this mean that I can use the Tacx app and do some of their training set ups without the need for wifi?
Sorry if this is dumb but hopefully it will be a straight forward answer to them that know?
Kind regards
DJ

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Ok guys, my pain cave is virtually done. Tacx Flow Smart, Winter bike with trainer tyre on, detached garage with full power, lights, sockets etc.
Only thing not geared up is wifi. Cables etc run, access point ready but as yet not all connected up(awaiting network switch).
I note that the Tacx app connects to the trainer by bluetooth. Does this mean that I can use the Tacx app and do some of their training set ups without the need for wifi?
Sorry if this is dumb but hopefully it will be a straight forward answer to them that know?
Kind regards
DJ
No question is dumb.

Your trainer talks to the app on your phone/laptop/desktop by bluetooth, but then the app on your phone/laptop/desktop needs to reach the internet by ethernet or wifi to reach the online content.

Bluetooth has a range of 10 metres max.

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

No question is dumb.

Your trainer talks to the app on your phone/laptop/desktop by bluetooth, but then the app on your phone/laptop/desktop needs to reach the internet by ethernet or wifi to reach the online content.

Bluetooth has a range of 10 metres max.
Thank you for the reply.
I have unlimited data would that do the job in the short term while I can get wifi up and running?

Many thanks
DJ

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The answer is yes. You can use the Tacx app to control your trainer without WiFi. The workouts won’t go anywhere but if you just want a workout that’s fine.

It only needs to reach Internet if you want to sync the data online.

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

The answer is yes. You can use the Tacx app to control your trainer without WiFi. The workouts won’t go anywhere but if you just want a workout that’s fine.

It only needs to reach Internet if you want to sync the data online.
Yeah at this stage all I want to do is choose a training plan and follow it. Not bothered about saving or sharing it.
So I take it that can be done ?
Kind regards
DJ

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yeah at this stage all I want to do is choose a training plan and follow it. Not bothered about saving or sharing it.
So I take it that can be done ?
Kind regards
DJ
Yes, if either
1) you are running the Tacx app on your phone
or
2) you are running the Tacx app on a computer or tablet that is connected to your phone with your phone acting as a wifi hotspot (unless the tablet has its own unlimited data in which case it will not need to connect to your phone).

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

The training plans are online so no. Once workouts downloaded then yes.
Ok so last night I created 3 weeks worth of workouts following a particular Tacx training plan that was on line. Saved them all individually and gave them a name. Well I had some time to kill as pubs still closed :-)))
Will my bluetooth connected smart trainer be able to follow them please?
Kind regards
DJ

Just use your phone as a hotspot if you have unlimited data. The only internet I have in the house is my phone and that runs zwift and everything else fine, including tacx rlv.

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

Just use your phone as a hotspot if you have unlimited data. The only internet I have in the house is my phone and that runs zwift and everything else fine, including tacx rlv.
Thanks, I can certainly give it a go. Will try today using phone as you say, then if I encounter issues I will have a go with saved workouts
Cheers
Dj

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ok so last night I created 3 weeks worth of workouts following a particular Tacx training plan that was on line. Saved them all individually and gave them a name. Well I had some time to kill as pubs still closed :-)))
Will my bluetooth connected smart trainer be able to follow them please?
Kind regards
DJ

If you sync them to your tablet in advance then yes

Top Bottom