Taff Trail on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

most of these trails are not suited to skinny tyres.the taff trail is no exception .The main problem is losing your front wheel on the loose (not funny coming home with gravel stuck in grazes all over your forearms).

calvjones

My commute is Pontypridd - Cardiff on the trail (in winter) on my Ti road bike with... you guessed it, Gatorskins 700x25. Have gone as far as Abercynon and the bike/tyre combo is absolutely fine.

Unlike some others I like Gatorskins. Did the Tour of Flanders on them this year - 150Km over huge cobbles with 25% sections - and they were great.

mattsccm

Look for tyres in places like Wilkinsons. Saw some today in Chepstow. Almost identical to the Specialized ones I have at £6.99 each. May not be the fastest ones out there but they will be great budget rough stuff tyres.
As for the bike, just be careful. That bike will really be no weaker than many cyclo cross bikes out there.

lozcs

Guru
I'm doing the Taff Trail with a few friends at the start of October - I'm going to use my hybrid with 35mm tyres - we're starting and finishing at Brecon - going down as far as we can in half a day and turning back after lunch.

I'll let you know how we get on!

Top Bottom