Tail wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
true, i always prefer the headwind on the way out!
I recall a conversation many years ago, discussing this for a time trial. The conclusion was that it's better to have a tail wind going out, then you get used to riding at a high cadence and get really warmed up for the ride back into the headwind. A head wind to the turn, just makes you sluggish and grinding a high gear. Something that is difficult to make up in spite of a tail wind back.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I recall a conversation many years ago, discussing this for a time trial. The conclusion was that it's better to have a tail wind going out, then you get used to riding at a high cadence and get really warmed up for the ride back into the headwind. A head wind to the turn, just makes you sluggish and grinding a high gear. Something that is difficult to make up in spite of a tail wind back.

I remember my first one and being struck by how all the conversation was about wind! these cyclists looked like professionals to me and all they were doing was bellyaching about the wind!

After doing it a couple of times I started to take an interest in the wind myself.

The course I rode most- by far- was my club's evening 10 course. It was mostly gently uphill on the way out. The absolute ideal was a gentle following breeze outwards- too much tailwind on the way out slowed you down too much on the return.

Sharky

Guru
I remember my first one and being struck by how all the conversation was about wind! these cyclists looked like professionals to me and all they were doing was bellyaching about the wind!

After doing it a couple of times I started to take an interest in the wind myself.

The course I rode most- by far- was my club's evening 10 course. It was mostly gently uphill on the way out. The absolute ideal was a gentle following breeze outwards- too much tailwind on the way out slowed you down too much on the return.
Our 10 course is similar, on the Isle of Grain. Gradual up hill to the turn and fast on the way back. Course is from East to west, so more often a headwind going out. When the wind is behind you going out it helps on the up hill gradient. I ride fixed for TT's, so it's perfect for fixed when it's like that.

Top Bottom