"Take care on the road......"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Anyone else had this little nugget of a well-wish before setting off on a ride?

I find it nice that someone thinks of me when I'm riding, but I can also see why we have a long way to go to address driver attitudes towards cyclists.

I am a fairly experienced and competent cyclist, but know full well that my safety on the road in largely down to vehicle drivers actions that (other than my level of assertive or defensive riding) I have almost zero control over.

The people that should IMO be advised to take care on the road before every journey are the maniacs in tin boxes.

Ciao

snorri

Legendary Member
You're just so darned controversial CP ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

it's the same for every other road user, regardless of their mode of transport.

although i understand your concern.

+1 on that, it doesn't matter what you drive or ride theres only so much you can do to help your safety, the rest of it is down to the people you're sharing the road with.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Coming from someone who has been very attatched to my parents and is only 18 years old and yet does the same amount of cycling as anyone else on here, I get it all the time from my parents.

When ever I go out for any reason, whether to college or just a training ride, my mum always says "Take care" or "Be careful" when I leave the house.
Its normally mixed in with the odd "Where are you going?" and "What is her name?" comment.
In our family, we are very attached to each other and therefore care about each others safety. Me cycling on the roads is probably the most dangerous thing that any of our family does currently. And as a result, my parents are very concerned for me when I go out.

I am competent on the roads and very defensive when people need to be put in their place and stop barging through (I leave myself enough room to manouvre out of the way though). I thank people who wait and appreciate people who overtake safely.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Coming from someone who has been very attatched to my parents and is only 18 years old and yet does the same amount of cycling as anyone else on here, I get it all the time from my parents.

When ever I go out for any reason, whether to college or just a training ride, my mum always says "Take care" or "Be careful" when I leave the house.
Its normally mixed in with the odd "Where are you going?" and "What is her name?" comment.
In our family, we are very attached to each other and therefore care about each others safety. Me cycling on the roads is probably the most dangerous thing that any of our family does currently. And as a result, my parents are very concerned for me when I go out.

I am competent on the roads and very defensive when people need to be put in their place and stop barging through (I leave myself enough room to manouvre out of the way though). I thank people who wait and appreciate people who overtake safely.

My mother's exactly the same Matt... and I'm 43! ...and a half!

they live about 15 minutes away by bike and every time I go over it's "We'll come and pick you up." "but it's drizzly." "Will you be OK?" "Are you sure?" "Take care!" ... to be honest most mothers are like that, i'm sure my brother gets the 'take care' lecture when he drives over.... it's love more than owt else.

I wonder if she says things like "He rides a bicycle you know" to her mates as if it's some eccentric thing like "he's an artist you know".

Dad, on the other hand is one of those "you don't pay road tax" types... i'm educating him slowly... but so far as I can tell, i'm 'allowed' to cycle on the roads, "It's all them other buggers, you know, in groups... they shouldn't be allowed on the roads." Again, I'm educating him slowly... possibly.

Reactions: gaz
Top Bottom