Taken by surprise !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
By choice, I have been using my home built MTB as my commuter. I am so happy with the way it rides, the comfort, the quality, that I have pretty much ignored my road based hybrid for all of 2015. Today, I found a spare hour to actually go 'off roading' with my MTB. I have several local loops that will take me a known amount of time, diversions not withstanding, so chose my nearest and usually shortest as time was supposed to be at a premium.
Wow......It didn't take me long to remember just how good my bike feels when used for its proper purpose. And to top it off, I find that the land owner has had in the heavy plant, and shifted tons of earth, virgin earth, not trodden on, not ridden on, pushed this way, and piled up that way, all totally different to the usual, expected farm track and bridle way. I didn't venture more than 2 miles from home, but had one of the best afternoons riding I can ever remember. Exhausted and very grubby, I returned home and flopped down into the armchair, feeling ever so pleased with my self and my bike. Even the ear bashing I got for 'wasting the afternoon', instead of getting the garden sorted, just rolled over me without disturbing my inner contentment.
So.
What has surprised you lately in the world of off roading ?

Motozulu

Über Member
The Peaks. I just didn't know something that was so hard to do, could be so rewarding. Cannock will forever feel flat after this.

Cyclist33

By choice, I have been using my home built MTB as my commuter. I am so happy with the way it rides, the comfort, the quality, that I have pretty much ignored my road based hybrid for all of 2015. Today, I found a spare hour to actually go 'off roading' with my MTB. I have several local loops that will take me a known amount of time, diversions not withstanding, so chose my nearest and usually shortest as time was supposed to be at a premium.
Wow......It didn't take me long to remember just how good my bike feels when used for its proper purpose. And to top it off, I find that the land owner has had in the heavy plant, and shifted tons of earth, virgin earth, not trodden on, not ridden on, pushed this way, and piled up that way, all totally different to the usual, expected farm track and bridle way. I didn't venture more than 2 miles from home, but had one of the best afternoons riding I can ever remember. Exhausted and very grubby, I returned home and flopped down into the armchair, feeling ever so pleased with my self and my bike. Even the ear bashing I got for 'wasting the afternoon', instead of getting the garden sorted, just rolled over me without disturbing my inner contentment.
So.
What has surprised you lately in the world of off roading ?

Amen to that! I recently bought a hardtail at the last minute having set upon a fixed fork hybrid. Sure, I added weight and can't go as fast on the road... But I have road bikes for that and have been really thrilled just to be able to let loose a bit just on simple trails and get properly muddy without fearing slide out.

Also found a local Bmx Track and having enormous middle aged fun grabbing three or four inches of "air" on the humps!

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Amen to that! I recently bought a hardtail at the last minute having set upon a fixed fork hybrid. Sure, I added weight and can't go as fast on the road... But I have road bikes for that and have been really thrilled just to be able to let loose a bit just on simple trails and get properly muddy without fearing slide out.

Also found a local Bmx Track and having enormous middle aged fun grabbing three or four inches of "air" on the humps!
Amen to that.

Top Bottom