Taking a bike on a train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Who ? The bloke in the taxi office, or the crack-heads around the back ? :whistle:

We don’t all live in Wales

So when you phone up, do they give you a booking reference number or something like that?

Different operators will vary in how they do it.
No use at all phoning up Northern re a bike reservation as they are simply not available. At all. I suspect there might well be another couple of operators who are similar.
Conversely, some operators openly tell you that making a reservation for your bike- while compulsory - is no guarantee at all that your bike will be able to travel on the train ...

So you pays your money and takes your choice, such as it is ...

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Different operators will vary in how they do it.
No use at all phoning up Northern re a bike reservation as they are simply not available. At all. I suspect there might well be another couple of operators who are similar.
Conversely, some operators openly tell you that making a reservation for your bike- while compulsory - is no guarantee at all that your bike will be able to travel on the train ...

So you pays your money and takes your choice, such as it is ...

I haven't a Scooby's about the individual train company names, I just go on TrainLine and book tickets, mainly Leicester/Sheffield. Would that be midland or northern rail?

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Your journey will be shown on Trainline and will show the operator(s).

Neatly hidden away in an "i" button in the corner of my ticket...click on that and it gives more info. Including the carrier (East Midlands railway) along with a contact number. Cheers all.

Thas no need to get mardy.
Had a look ont app and not seen owt yet, but I'll keep looking.

I'm not being mard. I'm stating a fact. It's quite likely to depend on the specific train you want to use - which I obviously have no idea about - as on some routes there are several different operators who run services and each operator will have different bike policies.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Neatly hidden away in an "i" button in the corner of my ticket...click on that and it gives more info. Including the carrier (East Midlands railway) along with a contact number. Cheers all.

No, just click on the journey for all the details. A random example I've created.

Screenshot_20220623-204803_Trainline.jpg

Top Bottom