Taking bikes on a tour to Europe by car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vt2

Guru
Ten of our cycling group had planned a tour for 2020 starting in Strasbourg and looping around the Alsace wine Route and through the Black Forest. Because of covid this was not possible but we are now intending to reschedule this trip for June 2022.

Our intention was four of us to take the ten bikes to the start point in Strasbourg in two cars whilst the rest of the group travel by plane and train. This means that there will be six unaccompanied bikes in the cars [some are e-bikes].

There was an article in today's Independent on Sunday where someone was charged €400 import duty and VAT on taking three e-bikes into Spain on the ferry for a holiday and bringing the bikes back with him on the return. The customs officers said he could have had an ATA Carnet to avoid import charges. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Having done a bit of research, British Cycling advise obtaining a carnet to take bikes to Europe - presumably aimed at cycling teams rather than individual touring cyclists. The ATA Carnet costs £300 + VAT plus either a non-refundable insurance premium or a security deposit based on the cost of the "goods" being temporarily imported [40% of the value has been indicated]. Similar advice has been given by Motorsport UK and the ACU. It may be that a carnet is only required where the car, motorbike, bike or whatever is not accompanied by the owner who has proof of ownership or it could just be e-bikes as they are treated as motorised vehicles under the customs rules.

For our trip it may be that those not going by car have to hire bikes at the destination or everyone goes by car.

Yes i've heard similar stories but i'm pretty sure it's is A) extremely rare and B) only temporary as otherwise your car, mobile phone etc etc is subject to the same requirements, that won't happen.

Security of so many expensive bikes would be worth thinking about as well, more risk of theft than import issues is my guess.

OP
OP
vt2

vt2

Guru
The rules say that cars, provided they are road legal and accompanied by their owner are exempt. Mobile phones are covered by the personal belongings clause and should be exempt.

Before Brexit, we toured in this way in France, Germany, Austria and Italy as well as the UK and bike security was never an issue - the bikes were always within sight or locked in secure storage overnight.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Means of transport are exempt from import duties. If yiu arrive on bike on ferry you are fine.

”Temporary admission' allows goods to be brought in temporarily to the Union with total or partial relief from import duty. Examples of where this procedure might be used would be in the case of goods imported for purposes such as exhibiting at a trade fair or taking part in a music show. In some cases the completion of customs formalities is not required (e.g. temporary admission of means of transport).”

Reactions: mjr

DRM

Guru
I wouldn’t park a car in Strasbourg itself, we used the park and ride when we went, catching the tram into the city centre, iirc we used the Rotonde car park, parking is difficult and expensive, but there was a lot of utility cycling going on in Strasbourg, commuting and shopping.
Also brace yourself for some big hills, but the area is beautiful, and is certainly more German in appearance than French.
Perhaps rethink your meeting point for those going in by plane

OP
OP
vt2

vt2

Guru
I wouldn’t park a car in Strasbourg itself, we used the park and ride when we went, catching the tram into the city centre, iirc we used the Rotonde car park, parking is difficult and expensive, but there was a lot of utility cycling going on in Strasbourg, commuting and shopping.
Also brace yourself for some big hills, but the area is beautiful, and is certainly more German in appearance than French.
Perhaps rethink your meeting point for those going in by plane

This is a postponed trip due to covid and we had previously arranged free parking at the hotel not far from the hospital we were staying at on the first and last nights. I have toured from Strasbourg before after flying to into Basle with my bike and taking the train to Strasbourg - great place.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We have taken bicycles to mainland Europe several times a year for the past 30 years. Either, on our car, or, more lately (ie past 15 years) on our motorhome. They have been carried mounted on a tow-bar mounted bike (Thule) carrier, or Fiamma bicycle rack. Never had a problem at point of exit, or, entry, nor, when crossing internal borders.

Because of Covid, we have not been to mainland Europe since March 2020, so, not had experience post-Brexit.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I don't know if you have any French speakers but if you need help writing a note explaining why you have so many bikes (and not planning to sell them), let me know.

bladesman73

Über Member
Not sure we will be able to go to europe next year at this rate. Until 2020 I went to Belgium and Netherlands yearly, it all seems such a mess. Lets hope things change miraculously

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving. A friend was due to do a trip to Portugal with a man and a van taking the bikes: the van man now says the continental business is now dead because of the form-filling after brexit. He's now running tours only in the UK. Didn't see that on the side of a bus

DRM

Guru
It’s not just brexit, COVID and it’s many variants are also throwing a full set of spanner’s in the works, you can book any type of holiday, but there’s a huge risk of rules changing at the drop of a hat, a lot of people think it’s pointless booking any trip abroad at the moment, it’s just not worth losing out financially

Top Bottom