Taking enough fluid with you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm heading to nothern Spain on holiday and will be heading off for a few rides of 40 - 60 ish miles.
It will (hopefully) be hotter than here, and i'm thinking about how I can take enough fluids as I only have space on the frame for a 24oz and a 21oz bottle - i'm guessing that wont be enough, but have no experience riding those distances in hot conditions.
What do others do?
Neil

refill on the ride..?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Bigger saddlebag with 3rd and 4th bottles :smile: If youre sweating and drinking lots of fluids, its worthwhile having some isotonic/electrolite drink in one of your bottles, drinking too much plain water can bring on cramps faster.

lulubel

Über Member
I'd avoid using a camelbak if you can because it will just make you hotter.

The most important aspect of hydration is making sure you're properly hydrated before you set out on a ride. I usually have about 2 hours between getting up and heading out for my morning ride, and I always make sure I take in at least a litre of fluid in that time. I can manage a 2 hour ride on 500ml of water in 30 degrees as long as I've started out hydrated, and I make sure I drink another 500ml quite quickly after getting in. (The only reason I do this is because I only have room for one 500ml bottle on my MTB and don't want to carry a camelbak, I'd prefer to have twice that much water.)

Add electrolytes to your water.

If you need to refill your bottles during a ride, most shops, bars, petrol stations, etc will have water for sale. If you can't find anywhere else, just knock on someone's door and ask for "agua".

Carry electrolyte tablets with you in case you need to refill your bottles.

Try to get out early if you can, before it gets too hot. Avoid cycling between 2-5pm. Even Spaniards avoid this time in summer, and they're well adjusted to the heat.

yello

This ^^^ and shops.

One of the bottle cages on my tourer will take one of those litre plastic bottles (most brands fit but some don't). It's worth reading the labels since the mineral contents differ from brand to brand. Some brands maybe beneficial to you whilst others quite the reverse!

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I've never had problems getting water in med countries, including Spain. I do carry three good quality, insulated bottles, though, and sometimes I have four. You can buy water almost anywhere and, as lulubel says, no-body in these countries will refuse you water. Avoid going out in the hottest part of the day, though.

Top Bottom