Taking Road Bike on Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulbufffer

Hi All

I am retiring soon so want to see a bit more of the UK by my trusty road bike, i live in South Birmingham

Looking at day trips by taking my bike on a train then coming back same day or maybe doing mini tours and getting off at one train station and then cycling for a couple of days then getting train home from another station
Saying that i would probably cut my teeth with the one day trips LOL

Main reason for this post is......

1, having never taken a bike on a train before, HOW DIFFICULT IS IT ????
2. any tips from seasoned travellers would be welcome
3. any parts of the country which is worth visiting

Thanks in advance

Paul B

Last edited by a moderator:

the snail

Guru
you need to look at the policy of the individual train companies, as they vary. Sometimes you need to book a space, sometimes not, sometimes you are limited on peak times. or travelling into e.g. London. It can be a bit of a minefield, but definitely doable, especially if you can be flexible/book in advance. So my advice would be to find out what the policy of the company is, and if you are turning up without booking, allow for the possibility that you can't get on, and have to take the next train (only happened to me once or twice).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The answer to Q1 is... "It depends"! :okay:

Some rail companies are very relaxed about it. Up here, Northern Trains for example. On those trains there are usually only 2 official spaces in a little compartment but staff are very relaxed about it. No reservations needed. If those spaces are full, just stand with your bike out of the way somewhere. I have only had a problem once, and that was trying to leave Leeds station on the first commuter train in the evening rush hour. That was an absolute no-no. They couldn't even get all of the passengers onto that train, let alone bikes! The next train was no problem at all.

Other companies are very strict and require reservations in advance. TransPennine for example. I avoid them - having to book is bad enough, but there is a clause in their terms and conditions that they don't guarantee that you can get your bike onboard even if you do have a reservation!

Long distance trains tend to be by reservation only, but again - some companies are more strict than others. I got on one train and found an unreserved bike in my reserved space. The guard just shrugged when I told her...

Answers to Q2: One tip from me is to carry a bungee cord to secure your bike. Sometimes bike compartments have stupid or missing straps. A bungee cord is very handy for backing up/replacing those and also lets you secure your bike elsewhere on the train, if necessary.

On some trains. your bike may be in a locked compartment. Sometimes staff change at a station mid-journey. Make sure that the guard knows that you want to get your bike off well before you arrive at your station. Also, if the train is crowded, make your way towards the bike in good time. I got stuck at the wrong end of a train once and had to run the length of the train on a crowded platform at my destination. Stressful!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hi All

I am retiring soon so want to see a bit more of the UK by my trusty road bike, i live in South Birmingham
From what I know about the subject, it varies wildly depending on where you want to go. For example, Scotrail run all the train services within Scotland, but on the line from Glasgow into Ayrshire the policy is different to the lines to Inverness and beyond. I can simply turn up and go on a train to/from Glasgow, but have to pre-book if I want to go to Inverness (or anywhere on that line). Cross border services on the west coast mainline between Glasgow and London also need pre-booking. You really need to check websites of whatever train company you intend to travel with.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
More tips, Paul...

Those over 60 can buy a Senior rail card. It costs £30 for one year or £70 for 3. Use that to get 1/3 of each journey.

Because of the stupid fragmented rail system in this country, sometimes you can double a fare by just going one extra station. Check for that kind of thing, and avoid by getting off at an earlier station.

Sometimes it pays to buy separate tickets for different parts of the journey (check split ticketing sites). Sometimes return tickets are pretty much the same price as singles.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just to add to some info about the train companies serving Birmingham as I understand it:
· London Northwestern Railway / West Midlands Trains (commuter trains and stopping services along the London-Crewe route) is a pretty good train company for taking bikes on. Bike stand on the floor in a special area.
· Avanti West Coast (London-Birmingham-Scotland expresses) are OK but require booking and may soon get worse as they have ordered some of the horrible Hitachi A-Trains already causing problems for GWR and LNER passengers, with a narrow vertical-hanger bike cupboard.
· Cross Country also require booking. The Stansted service uses Turbostar trains where the bikes stand on the floor in a signed area but they can get overcrowded. Most other services are Voyager trains which also have vertical-hanger bike cupboards but with more space than the A-Trains.
· Chiltern's commuter trains seemed pretty relaxed off-peak but I just found a wide space to stand with the bike. I don't think their Clubman trains had any bike spaces.
· I don't know about Transport for Wales and other companies serving Birmingham.

Near to you, I'd suggest going to Rugby if you can and riding along the old Great Central Railway trail, then there's roadside paths to Draycote Water to ride around the reservoir and onwards on another rail trail. It's signposted as NCN41 and goes to Warwick station. From there, if you're not ready for a train, NCN52 will take you to Coventry station, or NCN523 branches off to Berkswell station... which I think would let you board with the return portion of a ticket to Rugby, whereas Warwick would mean two singles, (or a West Midlands Day Ranger which is probably not cheaper unless you need to take another train to get to New Street).

To add to this -
any parts of the country which is worth visiting

It's all worth visiting, depending on your interests, wishes, degree of fitness, time available etc etc.
Do you like hills and sweeping views? Do you prefer the flatlands?
Do you like to ride beside water? Sea, lake, river or canal for preference?
How about surface - what are you willing/happy to tolerate, and for how far? Traffic?
Do you have any other hobbies or interests you might fancy integrating with your cycling? Just bimbling along flat, quiet routes and finding ice-cream shops and good cake stops has been an all-encompassing interest since I re-started cycling a couple of weeks ago after a long absence - and I'm proud of it!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
In answer to your question, probably a lot easier than you think, but only when you get used to it.

Living in South Birmingham, like I do, you have great links to most of the country, a good chunk being only one change away.

What are you looking for? Empty roads, flat terrain, great hill views, great towns to visit?

OP
OP
paulbufffer

paulbufffer

you need to look at the policy of the individual train companies, as they vary. Sometimes you need to book a space, sometimes not, sometimes you are limited on peak times. or travelling into e.g. London. It can be a bit of a minefield, but definitely doable, especially if you can be flexible/book in advance. So my advice would be to find out what the policy of the company is, and if you are turning up without booking, allow for the possibility that you can't get on, and have to take the next train (only happened to me once or twice).

Thanks for that info

OP
OP
paulbufffer

paulbufffer

In answer to your question, probably a lot easier than you think, but only when you get used to it.

Living in South Birmingham, like I do, you have great links to most of the country, a good chunk being only one change away.

What are you looking for? Empty roads, flat terrain, great hill views, great towns to visit?

Thank you and all of the above LOL

OP
OP
paulbufffer

paulbufffer

This insane rail 'system' of ours is one of the reasons I bought a folder ...

Yep, you ae maybe right
was looking at a folding rod bike like this

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/bikes/471/eclipse-x22

looks good and would certainly take away all the troubles, just turn up and board
Just depends how often i would travel on a train given the cost of tickets, but then ill have a senior rail card which will be good

something to think about and how often i would be going on a train with my folder to the actual investment of a folder

OP
OP
paulbufffer

paulbufffer

Just to add to some info about the train companies serving Birmingham as I understand it:
· London Northwestern Railway / West Midlands Trains (commuter trains and stopping services along the London-Crewe route) is a pretty good train company for taking bikes on. Bike stand on the floor in a special area.
· Avanti West Coast (London-Birmingham-Scotland expresses) are OK but require booking and may soon get worse as they have ordered some of the horrible Hitachi A-Trains already causing problems for GWR and LNER passengers, with a narrow vertical-hanger bike cupboard.
· Cross Country also require booking. The Stansted service uses Turbostar trains where the bikes stand on the floor in a signed area but they can get overcrowded. Most other services are Voyager trains which also have vertical-hanger bike cupboards but with more space than the A-Trains.
· Chiltern's commuter trains seemed pretty relaxed off-peak but I just found a wide space to stand with the bike. I don't think their Clubman trains had any bike spaces.
· I don't know about Transport for Wales and other companies serving Birmingham.

Near to you, I'd suggest going to Rugby if you can and riding along the old Great Central Railway trail, then there's roadside paths to Draycote Water to ride around the reservoir and onwards on another rail trail. It's signposted as NCN41 and goes to Warwick station. From there, if you're not ready for a train, NCN52 will take you to Coventry station, or NCN523 branches off to Berkswell station... which I think would let you board with the return portion of a ticket to Rugby, whereas Warwick would mean two singles, (or a West Midlands Day Ranger which is probably not cheaper unless you need to take another train to get to New Street).

that's brilliant advice, thank you

OP
OP
paulbufffer

paulbufffer

Thank you

Good advice and will take it in

HelenD123

Guru
If doing a mini tour which presumably includes an overnight and thus more 'stuff', be prepared to remove any panniers. It can be tricky trying to manhandle a bike onto a train and carry the panniers. Sometimes you can put the loaded bike onto the train and take them off afterwards which is less stressful.

Like KnittyNorah, I have a folder which I often end up taking on trips including trains so I can be a bit more flexible. An easy way to get started is to to get the train out and cycle home. Then you can be confident booking a space (if necessary) for the outward journey and don't need to worry about catching a particular train home.

Top Bottom