England : Hampshire Taking the Plunge (Almost)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
After several years cycling alone I've fired off an enquiry to a local cycling club to find out about the prospect joining up. I've been putting off linking in with a cycling club for quite a while, mainly through fear of being left behind or slowing everyone else down. Being the wrong side of 50 I don't consider myself particularly fit but I can average about 18mph over 20 miles and about 16mph over 40 miles. To be honest it's a bit scary, but I need an incentive to go beyond 40 miles and to keep cycling through the winter months.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
After several years cycling alone I've fired off an enquiry to a local cycling club to find out about the prospect joining up. I've been putting off linking in with a cycling club for quite a while, mainly through fear of being left behind or slowing everyone else down. Being the wrong side of 50 I don't consider myself particularly fit but I can average about 18mph over 20 miles and about 16mph over 40 miles. To be honest it's a bit scary, but I need an incentive to go beyond 40 miles and to keep cycling through the winter months.

Do it, you really won't regret it.

I have recently joined my local club (after some encouragement from this forum), and I am a bit slower than you, and it was, without a doubt one of the better decisions of the year.

There shouldn't really be anything to worry about, they should look after you.

The club, if it is decent, won't drop you, someone will probably stick with you, you get cake half way and a brew. What more can you want!?

Reactions: JtB

Chris Norton

I can add 3mph to my average speed on club night. You will be surprised at the difference being in the middle of the pack is. If they have several different rides, ask to go on the social one before any further/faster ones.

You will wish you did it before now.

Top Bottom