Taking up bottom bracket creaks with retailer/manufacturer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJD

Hi all, I'm after some assistance with a creaking BB on a bike I own.

The creaking happens when I’m out of the saddle or putting decent power through the pedals.

I’ve had the BB86 aluminium bike going on 2 years (Giant Contend SL 1 2018), it was fine for 18 months, and then the creaking started. I’m 99.9% sure it’s an issue related to the bottom bracket, firstly as I’ve tried eliminating everything else (replaced cranks, pedals, seat post etc), and secondly because I replaced the bottom bracket and the creak got much louder, so much so I re-fitted the original bottom bracket with the quieter creak.

Here's some audio of the really loud creaking after fitting the brand new BB: https://voca.ro/e3ssEgIFHUO

I understand my next option would be to try some type of retainer compound, but I can’t help but think I shouldn’t have to use this in order for my bike to ride without a creak, and why has this happened now, and hasn't for the first 18 months of ownership.

I suspect contacting the retailer/asking for assistance from Giant isn’t going to get me anywhere?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Seems your bike has a press fit bottom bracket, which are terrible. My bike has press fit bottom which also creaks under power, which is also terrible. I've promised myself when I replace this bike with the terrible creaking press fit bottom bracket the next bottom bracket will be threaded. In fact the newer version of my current frame now comes with a threaded bottom bracket. Seems Specialized realized their mistake and went back to tried and tested, and not terrible, threaded bottom brackets.

Apologies, my post is of no help to you, just an opportunity for me to rant on.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry, I can undrestand how that must be very annoying, it’s a common problem. Made to make manufacturing quicker and easier therefore cheaper but needs to be made to very exact tolerances which isn’t always the case.
i think your best solution may be to explore the threaded bb conversions by Totem.

Top Bottom