Talcum powder.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I read somewhere that it is a good idea to use the above when you change a tyre or repair a puncture but my question is: where do you put it? On the tube or inside the rim.? Also, what difference does it make?

Ajax Bay

Guru
When you have got most of the second bead on but are struggling with thumbs to get a new tyre you discover is tight on a full 622mm rim, a shake of talcum powder on the bead and into the rim just for that 30 degrees helps lubricate the rim/bead interface.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The tyres on my bike are so damn tight that they absolutely will not go on without talc and 8 inch long levers. It also helps prevent the inner tube getting pinched during that process as it can slide into the casing better.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Basics.....

If you apply a puncture patch, always talc the repair zone afterwards to stop the tube sticking to the tyre.

Before using a new tube, talc it generously to overcome any molding/manufacturing residue/tackiness.

Before fitting a new tyre, generously talk the inside and bead to remove any stickiness and allow it to slide into the rim easily.

That is all :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Here you go, tools of the trade.....

IMG_20231119_233612.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
I wipe the last eight inches of bead with washing up illiquid .Just a light smear on the bead.

Gwylan

Veteran
There used to be that little block of stone and a grater in the puncture repair kit.
Are they still there?
It's a while since I bought a ******** repair kit....
Oh! pschitt I nearly used the p word.
I may be obsessive but I am not superstitious....... not very observant either.

Top Bottom