Talcum powder.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I thought talc was now condemned as the devil's snuff.

Ask Johnson & Johnson.

It can cause ovarian cancer. Even if you've got a vagina then I don't see how it could get in when you're changing a tyre.

GuyBoden

Guru
Why does French Chalk create additional grip for climbers, but Talc gives less grip for tyres.
This seems a bit mysterious to me.

talc-french-chalk-powder-550x550w.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Climbing chalk is made from magnesium carbonate (MgCO3), a broken down form of the mineral Magnesite. It is very effective at absorbing water without breaking down, therefore makes for a perfect companion for rock climbers with sweaty hands!
Talc, or talcum, is a clay mineral composed of hydrated magnesium silicate, with the chemical formula Mg₃Si₄O₁₀₂. Talc in powdered form, often combined with corn starch, is used as baby powder.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Chalk!! not stone - a bit like "solid" talc, although chemically they are different.

I've just bought a few puncture repair kits (<£1). These had what 'literally' looks like a bit of classroom chalk, the little metal grater and a wax pencil stub (for marking where the 'ole is).

Talc is a ubiquitous product in this part of the world, applied liberally after a visit to the ablutions chamber. Never understood why applying those wet roll on products was a good idea. If you had dry skin, using powder seems like a daft idea, so why is the reverse not true?

Next time you fix a puncture, lay the tube on the floor, stand in the middle and douse yourself in talc. Two birds with one stone, you know it makes sense :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Wear a mask and don't inhale.
A hi-vis jacket might be obligatory.

A full body condom is recommended for chalk produced after 2014.

Top Bottom