Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nasty close pass from a huge HGV reported to the police and the company.
IMG_20170829_204052.jpg

Simontm

Veteran
Uneventful trip in and back. Raining as I went into the H2 hub which stopped as I left so off came the jacket and away I go. Some keen as kept up with me on his hybrid from Priory to Spankers Hill where I slowed down when I saw a young herd and he pelted through the inside gap I made when I moved away from the deer and scared the deer into bolting :rolleyes::angry:
Needless to say caught him up and overtook before the end of Pen Ponds ^_^
Numpty count: 1 a BMW, obviously annoyed that its crown is being taken by Audi, pulled out on the Fulham road roundabout instead of giving way.

On a numpty side note: what's with the wobbly no hands cycling by adults. Not kids, adults?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thankfully a empty road this morning when a fully laden artic with foreign number plates pulled out of the industrial estate near work and proceeded to drive on the "wrong" side for a few hundred yards despite me trying to wave him over to the correct side.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This chap had nosed out into the cycle paint forcing me out into the busy traffic on my right. (Picture from after I had passed the car). As I approached the junction, I gestured for him to move back (there was nothing behind him) but he gave me a blast on his horn just when I passed trying to intimidate me/give me a fright.

I stopped straight away & walked right back.

I politely pointed out that when he noses his bonnet out like that he's forcing me out into traffic which doesn't always expect me to stray from the "cycle lane" and putting me in danger.

He said he was turning right. I said that he should wait at the white line.

He had his wife & kids in the car so I felt reasonably comfortable he wasn't going to start any fight. I could have ridden off quickly if he'd got out of the car.

His wife looked mortified.

I said "you've got kids .. I just want to get home to my kids safely".

It ended well I think and I was glad to have stood up to the horn blowing cockwomble.

SM06 XLB nosing out.jpg

John_S

Über Member
Unfortunately it was a rubbish day at work today and so after staring at 8:30 I didn't leave work until 9pm.

Therefore my plan of making the most of the light evenings before autumn descends upon us and plunges us into darkness didn't work out. Instead I was treated to a ride home in the dark as a special preview treat of what the next few months ahead holds in store for us.

Also just to really keep me on my toes tonight after a long day at work just after I'd crested a hill and was starting to head down the other side a badger ran out in front of me across the road about a metre in front of me which certainly got my attention. It would have really just topped of my day had I have been taken out by a badger.

Then about 2 minutes later a rabbit sprinted out of a hedge and nearly under my front wheel. Therefore it was a bit of a nerve wracking ride home tonight as various sorts of wildlife seemed to be intent on preventing me from making it home in one piece.

Sixmile

Veteran
Have you ever managed to punch yourself on the lip when putting on arm warmers? Today was a first for me.

Super commute though. Even did a spot of shopping before going into work.

13 rider

Guru
Finding the weather difficult to dress for this week . Very nippy in the mornings so now in full fingered glooves arm warmers ,gillet . But then sweltering coming home sweating all spare clothes in the pannier another 4 day week this week legs need a bit of a rest but working tomorrow

Test ride on a serviced Carrera Subway, to work and back.

I know the brakes work well. It was close (right turner following another right across my path)

Simontm

Veteran
Quickish ride in this morning with a fair few green lights which was nice. Forgot about the works on the South Lane bike path so a slightly ungainly step over to the road.
This evening was not as pleasant as I took the Kings Road, I remembered why I avoid it, all these silly commuter racers.
Numpty count: 1 ish. An Audi suddenly stopped to let a BMW cross over into a side road. Cue myself and a guy on a diverge emergency stopping. :rolleyes:

Simontm

Veteran
Couldn't work out why my chain was slipping off the smaller ring. Thought the limiter had gone but when I got home I found that a bolt had come off :angry:
Big ring back in tomorrow so I can pick up a bolt.
Numpty count: 0

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Stopped twice... First time to change the battery in my light and the second time to give directions to a couple on tandem who were lost and looking for their hotel which was somewhere in the area. It was almost midnight so I guided them right to their hotel before continuing my journey home.

Rest of the ride was pretty uneventful till a numpty in a 4x4 pulled out in front of me and stopped in the middle of the road, leaving me with nowhere else to go and I was forced swerve out of the way and mount the pavement. Luckily there werent that many people out and about, I was able to keep on the pavement till i rejoined the road a few yards up ahead.

I could of joined sooner but I dont like bunny hopping off curbs too much.

Top Bottom