Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Chilly albeit very refreshing morning. First time on the commute with the messenger bag that i got for cheap last week. First few miles and im rather happy with it so far. I dont need to carry a huge amount of stuff so i dont feel a lot of pull on my shoulder and across my chest.

I could of packed everything into an XS messenger bag really but the extra space gives it more functionality when i do need to carry more either on or off the bike.

Im not complaining for £23. Quality wise its in pretty good nic for a pre-owned.

I hope the sunshine lasts most of the day.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Last night's ride home was nice - wasn't as windy as I expected, and dry. Took the opportunity to relax along the coastal path and enjoy the view across the harbour. I realised that it won't be long until commuting is in the dark and there won't be much to do except get the head down and plow through it!

Ride in today was tough on the legs after a hard session on the turbo last night. Thankfully I met up with a similar paced rider and we took it in turns to pull for most of the way.

John_S

Über Member
Today was wet and cold in the ride to work however it was incident free which is always a bonus.

When riding in I was comparing todays commute in to yesterdays I was trying to work out which one was worse between being dry but buffeted by strong winds or soaking wet & cold like today and I'm not sure I've figured out the answer just yet.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Today was wet and cold in the ride to work however it was incident free which is always a bonus.

When riding in I was comparing todays commute in to yesterdays I was trying to work out which one was worse between being dry but buffeted by strong winds or soaking wet & cold like today and I'm not sure I've figured out the answer just yet.

Dry with a wind for me - I don't like being cold or wet.

If I had to choose between wet and warm or windy and cold then that would be slightly more difficult, but not by much. I would take the warm option every time. :smile:

John_S

Über Member
I think that you're right as being dry was edging it for me as well despite the wind.

However my opinion of this could have easily changed have any of the large bits of tree debris that were on the roads lining my route yesterday had of fallen at the moment of me passing and hit me.

13 rider

Guru
On my commute I rarely see any other cyclists but over the last year I have been coming across a guy every now and then could always see it was him as he used to grind up any hill in a big gear and I would spin past him . He has riden a various selection of bso,s including one with sellotape holding the seat post clamp . I once stopped and helped him with a flat as he had no kit so now we always chat when are paths cross . This morning he pulls alongside on a disc brake Boardman roadie which he's had for 2 months and he'd just done a 150 mile ride for charity .It's amazing to see how far he's come in a short time .
Bored of the wind now

Simontm

Veteran
Easy rides in and out and although at times the low sun was lethal, it wasn't wet!! At one point I thought I may have an interesting exit through FC Koln fans but that's North London's problem now.
Numpty count: 1 Richmond Park crossing over to Ham gate with 4 others and some Range Rover idiot decides he's gonna pull out turning right. Luckily he braked.

Was very confused when the distance reported by my GPS reported that my normal route was 4 km less than normal. After some investigation I found that it reset to default imperial units. Metric is the scientifically sound way to go.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Got up,threw on the cycle gear,packed the bag,helmet on,grabbed the bike...front flat as a pancake,couldnt be bothered with it,changed clothes,jumped in the car and off to the train station.regretting it now...

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Only one out of two possible good deeds done today.

Approached temporary traffic lights around roadworks on a country lane to find that although our way was green, traffic coming the other direction was not stopping. Eventually got through to see that some clot had taken the sign down & turned the lights into the hedge. I stopped to reinstate the sign & realign the light - easily accomplished when you're on a bike !

I didn't stop to move the dead badger off the side of the A38 at Rudgeway, thought perhaps I should have done as he was right in the part of the road a bike would use. Poor old Brock.

John_S

Über Member
I was actually lucky with the weather this morning and it was a lovely sunny ride in, unlike Kevin above who doesn't seem to have had such a good ride. However looking at the forecast the weather looks pretty ominous for later on and so I think it's going to be a miserable ride home tonight.

The one thing is that it's at the time of the year where the sun is very much in my face because due to my commute I have to predominantly ride easterly in the morning and westerly in the evening which is the wrong way around if I was to manage to avoid the sun in my eyes.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Slightly less chilly then I expected. The sky is a beautiful shade of blue with a little cloud. The odd strong breeze and its warm in the sunshine. Pitty it wont last...

Top Bottom