Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Had a small Off on my commute home today. There’s a short wooden bridge on the cycle path I use and I’m usually mindful of the fact it can be treacherous in the wet but today I came off on it!

I’ve got a cut on my knee and a graze on my hip but other than that I’m fine. The right hood had been knocked inwards and the bars knocked off centre, oh and a front puncture to go with it all.

Nobody else involved, just me. I repaired the puncture once it was totally flat a few hundred metres up the path where it widens, then limped home.

Took the bike to my mechanic for emergency repairs and a once over. He fixed the crash damage and a couple of other niggly issues I had for a tenner. Chuffed because now I can commute again tomorrow!

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Hardly any wind, roads pretty empty and missed the rain this morning! Not a bad commute at all :okay: Probably get absolutely soaked on the way back now for being so smug!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice and mild this morning. Still in Short sleeve jersey and shorts. It's mad I tell's ya.
A thoroughly enjoyable commute due the very little traffic because of half term.
It also looks like the fair-weather's have packed the bikes away now too. Very few commuting cyclists now on my route.

And the guy in Deptford with the grey socks. That was the worst track stand I have seen in many years. I would stay at home and practice more rather then making a plum of yourself in future.

LiamW

Two punctures today, 1st one 500 yards from the house, 2nd one 3 miles into my run to work.

I had one spare (thought I had 2) but I obviously didn't get all the glass out of the tyre.

Had to wait until the local bike shop opened to get new tubes, totally unprepared today ffs.

Stinking wet aul day as well.

si_c

Guru
Commute in felt really hard this morning for no apparent reason, slight headwind but nothing significant managed a fairly steady 18mph nevertheless. A little damp though, radiators in work now have arm warmers, socks, shoes, and overshoes all drying on them.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Two punctures today, 1st one 500 yards from the house, 2nd one 3 miles into my run to work.

I had one spare (thought I had 2) but I obviously didn't get all the glass out of the tyre.

Off, what rotten luck! Must admit, if I had a puncture so close to home I think I would be tempted to turnaround and drive instead! I only carry one tube, but I know that double punctures are surprisingly common so I really should put an additional tube and more extra gas canisters in the bottom of my pannier bag!

dhd.evans

Veteran
No ride, bike wheel is goosed so my summer ride is down for the year. Shoulder is improving but fracture clinic tomorrow will tell if it's broken up big time. Plus side? In Glasgow with beer for a gig right now and made my next bike purchase - Pinnacle Dolomite Single speed. Happy chappy!

J1888

Über Member
Windy, very farking windy. Heading from town out to Balham just now was pretty grim, a right good old fashioned slog.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Windy, very farking windy. Heading from town out to Balham just now was pretty grim, a right good old fashioned slog.

Yep, fair old slog in the wind. Still very mild temps, 16° this evening with a light smatter of mizzle in the air for a time.

J1888

Über Member
Yep, fair old slog in the wind. Still very mild temps, 16° this evening with a light smatter of mizzle in the air for a time.

Quite - decent temperature and just about cool enough not to overheat. Mild enough to sit outside for a pint on the way home :becool:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Lovely this morning.. really great ride to work in the morning sunshine.

171025.jpg

LiamW

Off, what rotten luck! Must admit, if I had a puncture so close to home I think I would be tempted to turnaround and drive instead! I only carry one tube, but I know that double punctures are surprisingly common so I really should put an additional tube and more extra gas canisters in the bottom of my pannier bag!

By the time I get back home and changed then run down to catch the bus I'd end twice as late for work. Just my rotten luck that I didn't check the tyre properly after the original puncture.

Normally carry 2 tubes, 2 CO canisters and a mini pump. Didn't have any patches on me either fgs. But a lesson learnt, i'll make sure I'm ready well in advance for Friday.

Front light died on the way home as well, yesterday was a pain in the arse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom