Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not been riding much this week due to having time off , someone else at work who cycles came up to me as i i got to work ( in the car as i was looking at being awake for 22 hours that day ) and told me a car had crashed off the main slip road straight through the side gate cyclists enter through and totally wiped the gate out ,I shudder to think what could hav happended if someone had been there at the same time.Apparently the driver got out and legged it,

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
what can i say ?
Got the bike pit last night , the garmin was flat as i must have left it on , strap for bike light battery snapped and the rear wheel was rubbing !
Then it was the 1st frost of this autumn on the way home so a bit chillier than i had expected :cold:

• Hugs
Reactions: C R
One section of this afternoons commute home^_^

This route leads off, out of shot here; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4907912
Likewise, here, it heads off to the extreme left

The grade 1 listed Aquaduct ahead; https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101261690-stanley-ferry-aqueduct-normanton

In the shot below, I'd ridden from the bottom-left of the picture
The bridge over the River Calder

Picture is taken facing almost North

Past the big cream coloured building British Waterways 'Stanley Ferry' Workships; where they make Lock-Gates
Over the arched bridge (single-track/traffic-lights) spanning the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal
Turn right after the bridge, to head back towards the Calder (along the 'crescent shaped' gravel area)
Go left (right on the pic) upstream along the riverbank, towards NewLands Woods & NewLands Lane

DRM

Guru
The grass on the other side of the viaduct was waterlogged on Sunday when I went across, the mesh plating is a bit weird to ride across, seeing the water beneath you while it clangs away!

A bit muddier today too!
I made slightly harder for myself having put a few more PSI in the tyres last night

The grass on the other side of the viaduct was waterlogged on Sunday when I went across, the mesh plating is a bit weird to ride across, seeing the water beneath you while it clangs away!
Yes, the river's been up
Think it was last Thursday, that the Trash Screen Bridge was doing its job
Agreed, said 'T S B' is an odd one to ride over, particularly when the river's up to the decking^_^

@DRM
Do you ever ride along there?
If so, have you ever ridden (what I call, no idea if it has a local name) 'Summer-House'?

Ie; from the old 'Stanley Lodge' site, between the fences, to this; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2091008
It's interesting..... on '28'tyres in the wet/mud:laugh:

DRM

Guru
A bit muddier today too!
I made slightly harder for myself having put a few more PSI in the tyres last night

Yes, the river's been up
Think it was last Thursday, that the Trash Screen Bridge was doing its job
Agreed, said 'T S B' is an odd one to ride over, particularly when the river's up to the decking^_^

@DRM
Do you ever ride along there?
If so, have you ever ridden (what I call, no idea if it has a local name) 'Summer-House'?

Ie; from the old 'Stanley Lodge' site, between the fences, to this; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2091008
It's interesting..... on '28'tyres in the wet/mud:laugh:
I’ve never been that way, usually go from the Nagger Line, to Stanley Ferry, then cross the canal and head up towards Methley and go past St Aidens and into Leeds

Dan77

3rd puncture in 3 days and only one thorn found although it was possibly responsible for the first 2 despite what I thought was a thorough check. Hope I don't have the same issue tomorrow (couldn't find any sharps) but have ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Plus to be delivered tomorrow so hopefully that will put a stop to it. Current tyres have done almost 2000km anyway.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
First time since earlier this year I have felt cold on the bike.
Think I'm going to have to dig out the LS jersey's, knee warmers and long finger gloves for next weeks commute.
And it's only one more week until the clocks go back so back to dark evening commutes. Better try find the lights.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Lovely sunny ride into work yesterday - but a close pass on an uphill section wasn't great. Again on the way home, another close pass from a VW T5 approaching a red light. The driver told me to "get a life" when I asked for more room.

Both have been processed by A&S Police with their standard response this morning that a warning letter, fixed penalty or prosecution has been issued.

Dan77

4th puncture in 4 days and only one thorn found on day 2. Yes there must be another in there which I can't find but it no longer matters as they're going in the bin tomorrow when I fit the Marathon Plus. Also had a close pass by a VW Transporter who almost immediately then stopped in front of me because he couldn't get through the gap due to oncoming traffic. I would have been able to keep moving no problem if he had waited and he'd have got through just as quickly.

Top Bottom