Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
View attachment 599275

The main road alongside my cycleway is closed and a diversion is in place, but there's always one, and in this case there are several who don't want to bother with diversions, oh, no, they think the traffic free Feldweg (think tarmacked bridleway) running behind the village is a much more convenient option so they're driving along it in cavalcades, pulling onto the verges and generally being a nuisance to all decent God-fearing folk on foot or bicycle.
Today it appears someone has had words. I'm trundling along when I round a corner ant there's two police cars, a van, and more coppers I've seen in one place since the European Cup in Stuttgart in 2004.
Now of course I want a car to come but typically, there's nothing doing for a kilometre. Eventually one comes bombing past and disappears around the corner, I cackle evilly, knowing there are no side roads and the police are just out of sight and call "you're about to get nicked!"
Then I feel a bit guilty, but only a bit.
It is the entitled drivers who should feel guilty, not you.

aferris2

Guru
When I was commuting there was one road where the police regularly waited. I would always wave to drivers to slow down when the police weren't there. Somehow forgot to wave when the police were there. Didn't feel guilty very often...

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
When I was commuting there was one road where the police regularly waited. I would always wave to drivers to slow down when the police weren't there. Somehow forgot to wave when the police were there. Didn't feel guilty very often...
There are some speedophiles who have taken to posting photos of police speed camera vans up on local FB groups to warn each other. I've been pondering grabbing their photos & putting them up from time to time whether or not the van is there.

There are some speedophiles who have taken to posting photos of police speed camera vans up on local FB groups to warn each other. I've been pondering grabbing their photos & putting them up from time to time whether or not the van is there.

I never understand this business of "warning" other motorists: if they need to know, they're driving too fast: it could be someone in your family they run over due to excessive speed.

Your wheeze could be extremely effective if only about three people start doing it: there would be so many false alarms it would be impossible to know which were genuine: meanwhile everyone living locally has slower traffic.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I never understand this business of "warning" other motorists: if they need to know, they're driving too fast: it could be someone in your family they run over.

Your wheeze could be extremely effective if only about three people start doing it: there would be so many false alarms it would be impossible to know which were genuine. Meanwhile everyone living locally has slower traffic.

It's bizarre, I think a couple of them are related to people seriously injured in high speed crashes... plain stupid.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
After being caught out a couple of times, they'd think to ignore your posts - the van isn't there when he posts so feel free to speed; so make sure you also post when the van is there too and keep the speeders on their toes :laugh::laugh::laugh:

diversion-jpg.jpg

A sequel to the previous story. On Friday the police had gone to eat doughnuts, and as I came to this location a car passed me. I found the barrier had been pushed over so cars could drive through again. I set it up again, and as an afterthought put it on the left hand side of the cycleway so it would be herder to drive around. Just as I'd finished a car came along the road and pulled onto the cycleway, saw the barrier and reversed back onto the road.

I carried on and took a picture on the way:

2021_07_17_Commute_04.jpg

Several minutes later I saw the car emerge from the village onto the main road and head back to where the diversion was signed...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is the truth
1626708632552.png

Its a scorcher

biking_fox

Guru
Some bizarre driving last night:
At a crossroads, oncoming traffic held on a red light, a queue of four or so cars waiting. A car overtakes the whole queue (on the wrong side of the road) and pulls into the advance cycle stop box, (surprisingly empty), and then when there's a gap, turns left into the flowing traffic stream. As if red lights didn't even apply or exist. It wasn't just rolling through an amber, or crossing an empty road, it was utterly blatant.

It's otherwise glorious riding though, early enough in the morning to be cool.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lat nights commute.
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen or experienced anything like it. It went from very hot and sunny to a massive Thunder/Lightning storm in a matter of minutes
I was 10 minutes from home when it literally all hell broke loose. First of with a lightning strike pretty close, immediately followed by the loudest clap of thunder I can ever remember hearing, Damn near fell off my bike. Frightening stuff. The last couple of miles home was agony with the heaviest of raindrops and hail stinging the face. It was completely bonkers.

This morning was bright, hot, sunny sunshine.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bored, did a different route today. Mix of urban throroughfare (OK), dual-carriageway (meh) and lanes (nice).

Wasn't sure how far it was so measured it on gmaps pedometer- set it to 'automatically for cyclists' and it shows you the route your local authority expect you to take 😄
Draw route automatically.png

Top Bottom