Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well after killing the freewheel on my single speed commuter tank earlier in the week, I had to use my lovely Boardman Fixie which is perfect in ice and snow which we had a dusting of in Manchester.
To be honest, it is such a good bike but I fear it attracts dicks in vehicles unlike the scruffy commuter tank which seems to make them stay away 😆
The week has been good up to tonight’s ride when the damn p fairy struck ! On top of that, the offending glass shard also made its mark on my fingers 😩 Enjoy the weeks photos

Attachments

• 01DEC156-A0B7-45B1-9211-8EB46DB82513.jpeg
    01DEC156-A0B7-45B1-9211-8EB46DB82513.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 7
  • B65591E1-7C89-42D3-98CF-A4D685BE8DB1.jpeg
    B65591E1-7C89-42D3-98CF-A4D685BE8DB1.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 6
Ouch!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My new route using the Buncefield Lane Quietway means I have now become a sort of small time, single-issue cycle campaigner. Have been reporting a lot of parking issues lately and bollards are now proliferating! now the width restriction bollards have been replaced and they are burly big boys- most traffic turning around and giving up.

Some motorists have found they can use the cycle bypass/ verge to get around so I will be requesting - another bollard!
Next up maybe street lighting and a good maintenance schedule for the unlit section.

IMG_20211207_074531531_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20211207_074605071_BURST000_COVER.jpg

This morning started overcast and grey-looking but as the sun started to rise it changed completely- a really good sunrise. Stopped at the bridge over the M25 just to look at it.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My new route using the Buncefield Lane Quietway means I have now become a sort of small time, single-issue cycle campaigner. Have been reporting a lot of parking issues lately and bollards are now proliferating! now the width restriction bollards have been replaced and they are burly big boys- most traffic turning around and giving up.

Some motorists have found they can use the cycle bypass/ verge to get around so I will be requesting - another bollard!
Next up maybe street lighting and a good maintenance schedule for the unlit section.

View attachment 620984

View attachment 620983

This morning started overcast and grey-looking but as the sun started to rise it changed completely- a really good sunrise. Stopped at the bridge over the M25 just to look at it.
Last time I passed this way the cycle bypass section was being used as a car park . I presumed cars owned by the construction workers.

(edit) Thanks for your campaigning , it does require vigilance to stop the misuse.Too me it is no longer Buncefield lane but palinurus way .

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Last time I passed this way the cycle bypass section was being used as a car park . I presumed cars owned by the construction workers.

There are lot of contractors currently working at Jones Engineering and they were parking all over the place (this is a new building so they would have to have submitted a travel plan with parking requirements). Something was done about the parking in the cycle bypass because it stopped occurring, then bollards were added to the shared path bit. Oddly I got a response from Dacorum council which suggested they couldn't do very much unless cars were blocking the carriageway, but the actual response was good- clearly some enforcement was done within a couple of days and then extra bollards were put in.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sitting at my desk and I can hear heavy rain on the metal roof not far above. Looks grim.
Yep, looking out of my glass building.. completely grim out there. Gonna be tough work cycling home.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I suspect I may not be on the bike for tomorrow's commute, if the forecast is correct.

Winds gusting to 70mph+ is just not safe.
Luckily, London very rarely has such extreme weather. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've not cycled commuted in the last 16 years

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Same here @palinurus
Very lucky indeed. I had to stay a little later for work. At usual leaving time it was hissing down big time. By the time I left it had passed. Was actually a quite pleasant ride home.

Alex321

Veteran
Luckily, London very rarely has such extreme weather. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've not cycled commuted in the last 16 years
Yeah, the Yellow weather warnings in force for tonight are different for Wales and South West England to what they are for the rest of England. And the warning for tomorrow doesn't extend into the rest of England at all.

This is what is says for the current warning for South and West Wales and South West England:
" Storm Barra will bring severe gales to coastal areas for a time before starting to ease during Tuesday evening. South to southeast winds will gust to 70-80 mph at times across exposed coastal areas and widely 50-60 mph inland. Winds will veer southwesterly across Wales and southwest England this afternoon, still with gusts 60-70 mph, perhaps 80 mph along exposed coasts. The winds, large coastal waves and high tides may lead to some coastal impacts. In addition to wind, showers and longer spells of rain will make for unpleasant and difficult travel conditions. "

Then for tomorrow (midnight - 6PM)
" Strong westerly winds slowly moderating through Wednesday. Wind gusts of 45-50 mph expected widely across the region, with a potential of 55-65 mph for exposed coastal locations. In addition to strong winds, there is a potential for large waves along windward coasts. "

I'll see what it feels like when I get up before deciding whether to cycle. If it is feasible in the morning, it should be easing by the time I head home.

Top Bottom