Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Over the weekend replaced my BB bearings ( drive side bearings completely dry, non drive side there was grease in them but they were moving)
I completely fettled the drive train and had a gleaming chain and cassette etc. Bike felt like new this morning.
The only downer was this morning for some completely wierd reason I gained a puncture whilst the bike was sat in the living room overnight, it was flat, I pumped it up , spun the wheel and sealant came out of a hole, let it seal itself and that was it.
My contribution to a wildlife theme this morning is this Muntjac deer
muntjac.PNG

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I wish that wind would just fleck off !

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Proper mixed one today.

Roads seem very quiet on Mondays so i take a slightly more direct route using the A6, this morning I had a skinny road sat on my wheel for a few KM and he commented he was impressed at the speed I was getting out of my Brompton. Had started off bad with a badly panned over take by a driver not 200m from my house, followed by a close pass by a pickup.

Ride home was wet, very wet, although it stopped about 10 mins out and I was pretty much dry by home.

cyberknight

In other news from today heard a crack from the rear wheel on the way home, couldnt work out what it was so carried on .Gave a couple of bikes a well needed wash and found i had a broken spoke.
By the time i had found out it was getting a bit late for rummaging through the parts bin to see if the spokes i have fit so set up the ribble rebuild for tomorrow .

Tom B

Guru
One from last week. Was over taken by an ebike who decided to ride on the pavement through a red light while I waited. Caught him on the flat and passed him. Hit 2mile brew (a local hill that's 2 miles long) and after about half a mile he was back past as I averaged 11mph and he shouted "you want to get an e bike".

Didn't think much of it and he was a speck in the distance as I crested the hill and set of on the ups and downs that followed. After about a mile I caught him rather rapidly and past him up hill. Could t resist shouting "you want to get fit pal" as I whistled off down the road.

A few miles on I decided I'd better test the beer at the local pub before picking the kids up. As the beer testing was in progress matey boy pulled up and went in the shop next door. Cos I'm the friendly sort I acknowledged him with a tip of my glass!

rivers

How far can I go?
I got to ride a chunk of my old commute today, and it was lush. My hours are shifted at work this week, so my wife and I went out for lunch at a friend's cafe near where we used to live. Popped my bike on the back, and left for work from there, and got to ride down all of the country lanes on the outskirts of Bristol into the outskirts of Bath, and oh how I've missed it. I hate my new commute (bike-train-bike, but no nice country lanes, just the busy roads of Bath or a busy canal path to work). I was really hoping I could suss out my mullet drivetrain issues for today as I wanted to use some of the bridleways, but that's for another day. I still got to ride my old commute, which put me in a good mood.

cyberknight

All teeth still in place, I hope.

indeed i had just set off :smile: apart from the one that needs a visit to the dentist if i can get in

Reactions: C R
This morning I met 3 plonkers cyclinging the wrong side of the path, one of them caused me to nearly take out the chap below who was silently overtaking me at around 25mph , partly my fault for not shoulder checking before I avoided the plonker. I was really suprised the guy on the single wheel thingy didnt react at all, not a shout not a word, not a gesture. I must raise the angle of my camera as well.
one wheel.PNG

plonker.PNG

From the rear camera view not motorbike gear but a proper helmet and MTB knee pads. Unlike the scooter guy who also overtook me at around 25mph, but did warn me and said thanks. You cant see very well from this picture but single wheel guy had his hands in his pockets before he overtook, probably relying on ultra quick reactions, seemed very chilled and skillful.
single wheel rear.PNG

Last edited:

spen666

Legendary Member
First cycle commute to the office in over 26 months for me - and only 3rd time in office in that time.

Good job my Garmin remembered where I work get paid to occasionally attend

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
From the rear camera view not motorbike gear but a proper helmet and MTB knee pads. Unlike the scooter guy who also overtook me at around 25mph, but did warn me and said thanks. You cant see very well from this picture but single wheel guy had his hands in his pockets before he overtook, probably relying on ultra quick reactions, seemed very chilled and skillful.
View attachment 645185

He does look rather silly as well.

Top Bottom