Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Back to the car via Waitrose for veg and other discounted goods; couldn't be arsed with the bottleneck at the work on the railway bridge so took the back route down Willow walk and past the occasional Botley lakes..

IMG_20240304_172534.jpg

IMG_20240304_172757.jpg

Did alright carting the Brompton and bag around the shop; which was still a bit of a pain but more manageable than in the past so perhaps I'm building a bit of strength. Ride back to the car was warm(er) but increasingly damp; however not to the extent of being terrible..

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back to the car via Waitrose for veg and other discounted goods; couldn't be arsed with the bottleneck at the work on the railway bridge so took the back route down Willow walk and past the occasional Botley lakes..

View attachment 723442

View attachment 723443

Did alright carting the Brompton and bag around the shop; which was still a bit of a pain but more manageable than in the past so perhaps I'm building a bit of strength. Ride back to the car was warm but increasingly damp; however not to the extent of being terrible..

No Sausages ?

Screenshot 2024-03-04 211340.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cold and wet. Not so much rain, more drizzle. We never the less.
Rainy commute #11 for the year
Same period last year 10 rainy commutes.

Half way in to the commute the bearings in the rear wheel decided to let go. The racket it made.. blimey. Amplified by a titanium frame it sounded like I had metal spokies (remember them). Talk about being self conscious as you're riding along.
Popped the wheel into my LBS who check and replace the bearings today. I am hoping there's no damage to the cup and cones. The hubs are Shimano Deore. Got the wheels October 2022. On one hand I'm surprised that the bearings have gone, on the other hand, after many thousands of miles in all weathers, perhaps not.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

Due to their importance they're prioritised to the very beginning of the day. Did score a posh 89p sausage roll, however ;)

This morning's commute furnished all of the scumbags from which to choose a favourite. In the car; perhaps the guy in the transit who pulled out in front of me on a 60-limit road - forcing me to brake from 50 down to practically nothing - who then proceeded to tailgate and harass me once I'd overtaken him since the road was thankfully clear... Maybe the woman in a Tesla who was clearly too important to give way as her lane merged into mine, after she insisted on attempting to overtake me as the dual carriageway came to an end.

A notable mention also goes to the muppets involved in the minor accident at one of the junctions, causing a significant tailback and adding maybe ten minutes to my journey (thankfully I left at a reasonable time this morning so just squeaked in on time despite this).

On to the bike we had the snails-pace muppet who insisted on riding right in the middle of the tow path despite being aware that I was stuck behind him. Or the two women stood chatting as their loose, somewhat aggressive looking dogs bounded around them, harassing those who passed.. Perhaps the pillock in a transit who passed me within a foot on Between Towns road; evidently enthusiastic to enjoy the traffic jam ahead; where I passed him thirty seconds later (with a choice hand gesture of course).

On the up-side I did have some positive interactions with some people and appreciated the odd smiling family riding from the opposite direction on the tow path; one kid looking especially please on his scaled-down road bike.

Now at work having thrashed it here and somewhat on a war footing, having already consumed too much caffeine..

fossyant

Half way in to the commute the bearings in the rear wheel decided to let go. The racket it made.. blimey. Amplified by a titanium frame it sounded like I had metal spokies (remember them). Talk about being self conscious as you're riding along.
Popped the wheel into my LBS who check and replace the bearings today. I am hoping there's no damage to the cup and cones. The hubs are Shimano Deore. Got the wheels October 2022. On one hand I'm surprised that the bearings have gone, on the other hand, after many thousands of miles in all weathers, perhaps not.

You know you need XT !

fossyant

Manchester continues to be pleasantly spring-like a joy to ride. Notably dry two days in a row!

Looks like a few days dry (touches wood).

Shame, with it getting lighter, the dog walkers are out in the local park - there is a shared path right on the edge of the 'field' - there was a GSD on a lead that was 'pulling' to get near me - I was bit by one last year - possibly same dog as not many GSD's near me.

Keep seeing a bully dog without a muzzle, but it's only the XL than needs them, not the 'normal' or pocket ones (neither are small dogs).

Last edited:

fossyant

Disaster, just heard that all heaters are being removed from the building, which means the little oil radiator I use for drying my kit, is going. There is one old drying cabinet located under the stairs in a cupboard for the whole building. Great !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

i have to regrease the bearings on the commuter every couple of months as its out in all weathers

fossyant

Keep it quiet, another lovely morning ride. Nippy though. Clothing prep is currently geared for cold mornings. Realised it might be a bit warm when I left the building and there were loads of students sat on the steps on the lawn outside. Might be a tad warm going home.

biking_fox

Guru
Pleasant riding weather, not as cold as it looks despite the frost! Took the SS along the road route, all fine apart from the short section by the school where parents are pulling off/out turning stopping and generally causing chaos. Seemed to hit more than usual number of red lights too.

Top Bottom