Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
An hour of continual rain for this mornings commute. Thankfully it wasn't heavy rain and it was very mild temperatures. 14° when I left home this morning. It was almost pleasant. Looking like the rain is here to stay for the day so probably a wet ride home too.

Rainy commute #21 for the year
Same period last year 20 rainy commutes.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well that was blooming horrible

The only thing notable about my commute this morning was the weather on my short (4miles) cycle to the station, heavy'ish rain. Ive only 0.75 miles the far end now, which was a good thing as I forgot my towel. Tonight after the train I took a 7.3miles route to avoid the rush in part (still busy route).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I thought I was going to get a soaking for the ride home yesterday evening. But not. Happy days. Its was a very pleasant cycle home. The rain stayed away.
Dry also this morning. I was on for another fastest time of the year until I got caught up with a bad traffic snarl up in Lewisham meaning the average fell. Never mind. Still a great ride in anyway.

Tom B

Guru
Not from today, but last Thursdays Commute I managed a start to finish, door to door 7 mile run, through 9 sets of traffic lights with no red lights or stops!

Possibly the first time in 6 years.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's not really been a great week and I missed out on the bike commute yesterday, so pushed the ride home out a bit by going via Kennington, then through the city.

Stopped at the park for some hoop action, and instead of turning off the tow path at Yarnton pressed on to Kidlington.. have tried this before but the starkly inferior surface has defeated me through punctures or mud.

None of it's properly surfaced like the glorious stretch from Yarnton to Oxford, and varies between pretty rough singletrack to smoothish, relatively wide hard pack. None ideal for the Brompton's little wheels.

For a lot of it I stayed out of the saddle in a low gear to give the rear tyre a bit of a break, and thankfully escaped without any punctures, although was down to a sustained 7mph in some places while I'd be doing double this on a decent surface.

My reward for this toil was gloriously lush greenery everywhere and mercifully few people. Followed the tow path north to Thrupp, then across through the motor park, back to the Yarnton road and the car, for IIRC around 17 miles or about double the usual trip back.

Did take some pics but they were all shite so not worth the effort of posting.

Finished the evening off with a drive to Woodstock and some fish and chips.. in bed now and feel better for a bit of exertion - it's nice to get some upper body stuff in while out and about on the bike for a bit of balance without too much effect on your ability to get home afterwards.

Last edited:

biking_fox

Guru
Not from today, but last Thursdays Commute I managed a start to finish, door to door 7 mile run, through 9 sets of traffic lights with no red lights or stops!

Possibly the first time in 6 years.

I found out once I'd managed it once, it happened again more often - I've never had a completely red-light-free run, but count it if I can trackstand through till the green.

Lovely morning's ride again, shame about last night and the forecast for this afternoon. Yesterday it had been dry when I set off but the showers were heavy and variable.

tinywheels

Über Member
raining here,so dived into a cafe for a coffee,the brompton joined me.

17158616003025577639593871856009.jpg

Top Bottom