Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lat night was a horrid cycle commute home. Dark, very cold and very wet. Nearly an hour cycling in heavy, cold rain ain't fun. Sods law the rain stopped just as I got home. Typical.
Rainy commute #18 for the year
Last year x20 rainy commutes over the same period

Stark contrast to this morning. Still chilly but nice blue skies.

biking_fox

Guru
Legs felt heavy today. Otherwise should have been glorious riding a touch of frost and bright sunny skies. I think it's just been a long week.

Maylian

Veteran
Been in Leeds all week so no rides until today.

In an effort to up my distance I did a slightly longer route (25km, up from 10km). Garmin froze after 2 mins, so had to guess my way. Figured it out, legs hurt on some of the steeper bits (14% at one point) and then had a lovely cruise along the Bristol/Bath cycle path on the way in.

I'll do the reverse route home tonight, and confident I'll not get lost this time!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Oh, and a van with a pickup bed (what are those called?) pulled out of a minor road this morning right in front of me, I had to overtake to avoid it. Gave him the 'whaa?' upturned hand gesture and he did an apologetic wave- one of the more sincere kinds of apologetic wave- and flashed his hazards a bit.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A candidate for best all-round commute today...

Out on time after waking too early again.. The wind having changed from last week's northerly to a warmer southerly, while skies were mostly clear blue and sunny.

The drive in was nice and chilled with minimal knobheads, the route now also lacking the several sets of roadworks that have blighted it over past weeks. On the I bike got overtaken down a hill on the cycle path from Yarnton by a couple on a tandem (no doubt thanks to their favourable mass/drag ratio) but they slowed on the flat and I passed them just before joining the tow path.

Today brought great dog content; first an enthusiastic curly-haired thing gallopping majestically alongside a couple of cyclists (including myself), after which I saw a somewhat non-plussed bulldog-type-effort being hustled along in a bike trailor. Pretty much everyone encountered was friendly and pleasant; with a few familiar faces including the hot mum who's often coming the other way with her young daughter and small dog... always smiling, always very considerate, always receives a big smile and thankyou as I pass :smile:

I didn't smash it today being mindful of my growing sleep deficit, however the legs seemed in good fettle having done a fair bit less on the bike last week, so despite the headwind the steady mosey in felt pretty effortless. Sausages acquired I got to work in good time and good spirits - after having been convincingly rinsed coming up the hill from the lock by another bloke on a Brompton in jeans and a shirt.

After work I took the long way along the tow and cycle paths to / through Kennington, being passed on the canal at reasonable speed by a couple on road bikes. I told myself to leave it alone but as we progressed they gradually got slower, I gained a little speed and the gap shrank.

By the time we were on the tow path the gradient and headwind were obviously taking their toll on them and we were all now going slower than I considered ideal.. I made an effort to pass; leaving them pretty convincingly in the dust in the usual upright, seated, low-cadance manner that befits the Brompton. By the time we reached the end of the tow path I'd gained a fair bit of ground; however also hit 90% max HR for a fairly sustained period and pushed myself towards an asthma attack.. must have done me some good though!

Back through Kennington and along the Abingdon rd, pulling onto the path briefly at a drop kerb in good time to let an ambulance pass. On to the Woodstock road and I became aware of something approaching rapidly; as it passed I glanced over in vague disgust expecting yet another illegal ebike, however was pleasantly surprised to see a young woman on a road bike smash past me at convincing speed.

While not sure I'd be up to more effort, I had the dangle-hoops in the bag so once on the tow path I doubled back slightly to the park and knackered myself with some hoopy action on the monkey bars. Had a go on the swings briefly afterwards in the warm glow of the sinking sun; struggling not to laugh out loud like a child from the endorphins and the Mp3 player's chance selection of Com Truise's nostalgia-laced electronic classic Alfa Beach :becool:

I was going to go home but wasn't far from the Vicky so popped in for a quick pint on the terrace before the final four miles or so to the car.

The ride ended with some nice interactions with a few motorist as I folded the bike to go in the car; them slowing as I stood by the car in the road, me pre-emptively stepping behind the car to give them more room (even though there was always enough for them to get by) as they passed. Smiles and waves all round as both parties acknowledged the consideration of the other. Wouldn't life be great if everyone was always like this? I think it's due to the rare appearance today of the sun...

All in all a great day's riding of ballpark 20 miles; after which everything feels fine for a change ^_^

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What an absolute, glorious, blue sky, sunshiny day this morning.
11° when I left home at 7.30am but in the sun it felt much warmer. I took my jacket off which I had put on so was in full summer riding gear.
Fab stuff.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Another great ride today. Out into the sun a little late after yesterday's excursions, traffic was a bit crap but manageable.

Arrived at the parking spot in just about enough time and left the car into a significant headwind; requiring more effort than probably ideal to maintain a decent speed.

Lots of nice interactions with people on the tow path again - a bit of sun and it's like a switch has been flipped in the national consciousness and suddenly everyone is so much happier and more pleasant.

I entered the city up George street into the blinding sun to the sublime soundtrack of Joey Fehrenbach's Ghosts and with a fat grin on my face, then it was onto the butchers for breakfast and on to work along the tow path.

The weather looks to be decent all day; hopefully the ride home from the pub will be pleasant too :smile:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another great ride today. Out into the sun a little late after yesterday's excursions, traffic was a bit crap but manageable.

Arrived at the parking spot in just about enough time and left the car into a significant headwind; requiring more effort than probably ideal to maintain a decent speed.

Lots of nice interactions with people on the tow path again - a bit of sun and it's like a switch has been flipped in the national consciousness and suddenly everyone is so much happier and nicer.

I entered the city up George street into the blinding sun to the sublime soundtrack of Joey Fehrenbach's Ghosts and with a fat grin on my face, then it was onto the butchers for breakfast and on to work along the tow path.

The weather looks to be decent all day; hopefully the ride home from the pub will be pleasant too :smile:

No sausage stop this morning ?

A bit of a boring commute for me today to the new office. 4 miles to the station from my flat, a train for the most part and a 0.6miles scoot round a giant carpark. It was partly to minimise the distance I'd have to lug the D lock and cable (they are now at the secure bike cage) but also I knew it would be busy and we've no fixed desks. It was the same at night as I decided I wanted home for a proper laptop free ride. I'm tempted to get of the train early on the next commute but my back pack is marginally too small for the towel/clothes/ toiletries I'm needing to carry just now. I had a locker for that gubbins before but the new place has a daylocker policy, hopefully that changes as the lead director and quite a few others are cyclists. So I've ordered a replacement back pack for now https://road.cc/content/review/259183-altura-thunderstorm-city-30-backpack

Top Bottom