Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Legendary Member
Location
Manchester
Probably cooler away from tarmac !

Really was! Peak Forest is a wonderful canal to ride along, shame about the slog up the Ashton and getting back through the rest of manchester. 20miles for a nice very much temp ride home. Fish in the canal, lots of geese, a few dragonflies et al.

Fortunately my building has a shower, so I can set it to cool when riding in on mornings like this (and hot in winter!) so I'm at my desk looking about as presentable as I ever get.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Really was! Peak Forest is a wonderful canal to ride along, shame about the slog up the Ashton and getting back through the rest of manchester. 20miles for a nice very much temp ride home. Fish in the canal, lots of geese, a few dragonflies et al.

Fortunately my building has a shower, so I can set it to cool when riding in on mornings like this (and hot in winter!) so I'm at my desk looking about as presentable as I ever get.

Which bit of the Peak did you cover. I used to commute down the Peak and Ashton, but it wrecks your drive chain quickly. I use the Peak canal quite a lot on my CX bike - I'm near Woodley and the big long tunnel.
 

biking_fox

Legendary Member
Location
Manchester
Which bit of the Peak did you cover. I used to commute down the Peak and Ashton, but it wrecks your drive chain quickly. I use the Peak canal quite a lot on my CX bike - I'm near Woodley and the big long tunnel.

From the start junction at the Ashton, this time just to Woodley before turning down the main road to Stockport. I have run through to Marple before. I wouldn't want to commute regularly on the Ashton it's not smooth riding, but it's fun for a sunny afternoon.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
From the start junction at the Ashton, this time just to Woodley before turning down the main road to Stockport. I have run through to Marple before. I wouldn't want to commute regularly on the Ashton it's not smooth riding, but it's fun for a sunny afternoon.

Ah, you weren't far from where I live. I have to get through those road works at the Church (St Marks) every morning.
 

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Location
Bristol
The problem is that they are not legal, they are not. The problem is that they don't get confiscated and crushed as they should.

Bristol seems plagued with them. There is the 'gang of yoofs' who like to race around the city in a gang all on high speed emotorbikes, which is what they are. I've been buzzed by 'em on the B2B path, 20-30mph uphill, obviously not pedaling, often two per machine, love to pull wheelies as they speed past.
 

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Location
South Glos
Puffing & panting in yesterdays heat on the commute home, buzzed by idiot on ebike shooting up the path at about 30mph, actually filming himself with one hand on his phone.

200 yards later....lovely karma. He was getting nicked by four cops:okay:

Send them up to Bradley Stoke when they've caught all of the B2B ones!
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
That were hot !
 

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Location
South Glos
Riding home on a country lane I came round a bend to find a Skoda Octavia coming towards me on my side of the road!

Scrubbed off a lot of speed and shouted until the driver looked up from his passenger's phone and started to move to the correct side of the road.

It was rather alarming.

OV66 PKO 1_exported_6491.jpg


OV66 PKO 1_exported_7651.jpg


OV66 PKO 1_exported_8292.jpg
 

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Location
Rides Ti2
G'morning folks and another very lovely warm morning it is too.
On the big boys bike today seeing as it's a Friday.
No long cycle commute home today though as a few of us are embarking on an all night ride tonight around that there London which will see me get my July's imperial century ride in the bag.
PXL_20260710_061048022~2.jpg
 
A deathly quiet at times commute to the Station for me which has so far been speeded up for me under the traffic chaos resulting from the filling in of the pedestrian underpass. Im forced to go on road through the Queensgate roundabout but its down to one lane circulatory so its easier to manage and its less convoluted that the underpass route. It's a good job it was a couple of minutes faster today as my legs were dead from last night's TT.

20260710_071935.jpg
 
Decided to take the air conditioned train all the way to Pottyboro for a short (4miles) tailwind commute (rather than a long head wind commute in the heat). I also thought temperatures might fall for a recovery ride. Traffic was a total chaos but it was too hot to fight with traffic, so I just waited in line at congested areas.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom