Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
Colder this morning and when I got up still darkish Autums round the corner.

Indeed; I too have noticed that unapologetic chill in the mornings and evenings. Personally in isolation I love late summer / autumn, but every year it seems to trigger worse anxiety about the cold, dark, wet misery that lies beyond....



Another cracker this morning, after dragging myself out of the flat half asleep into a lovely bright morning.

Thankfully very few dickheads today. I got let across a junction by a bloke waiting on the other side of the yellow box that's so often super-densely-packed with knobheads, so he got a wave and a hearty thanks :smile:

A bit later as I was pulling away from a red light I got passed by a bloke on a vaguely interesting rigid MTB / hybrid. I kept up with him for a bit until we reached an unfeasible amount of queued traffic; whereby he stayed on the left in the bike lane and I took to the deserted opposite carriageway; creeping in front as we smashed past the static misery-boxes.

At a pinch point my opposite saw the benefit of my approach so made the most of a gap in the traffic and came across to the dark side once I’d slowed to let him out; leaving me behind when we reached an island he was happy to filter around the outside of into oncoming traffic while I was more cautious.

At the next set of temporary lights I found myself part of a large swathe of cyclists who eventually traversed the junction peace-meal as more realised the incongruity between the lazy red light and anyone who actually needed to be given way to.

A young, big bloke on a road bike broke away from the rest and I drafted him up the hill, him slowing significantly due to the grad but overtaking seemed pointless so I just eased off.

Sausages were passable – maybe a 6.5/10 being pretty much the least amount of cooked I can tolerate and not a patch on yesterday’s crisp delights).

Onward up the tow path, stopped to trim a few errant brambles and pick a few blackberries for the morning’s aperitif – which tasted delicious to my low-carb-adjusted, somewhat fasted palette.

While the joys of last year remain somewhat lacking, I remain very much aware of how miserable the alternative to this commute are / were, and how lucky I am to be able to enjoy this lifestyle
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Decent temperature, no wind and more importantly, no acrid smoke from the moor fires.
 

Mazz

Über Member
Location
Leicester
I was stopped at some lights on red and a group of 3 of those illegal e-bikers went past me in close succession.
First one said "orite mate" then did a wheelie, second one said "orite" and the third one said "You need one of these!".
I said "What, you mean a balaclava?"
He replied something or other but I didn't hear it.
 

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Traffic was a nightmare the other day crossing the Manchester ship canal
IMG_9065.jpeg


IMG_9064.jpeg
 

markharry66

Legendary Member
I was stopped at some lights on red and a group of 3 of those illegal e-bikers went past me in close succession.
First one said "orite mate" then did a wheelie, second one said "orite" and the third one said "You need one of these!".
I said "What, you mean a balaclava?"
He replied something or other but I didn't hear it.

did it end of off lol
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Nice ride in this morning no hassle, no deekheads. Whats going on?

All the mums aren't delivering kids to school. Whay ! Nice ride in, warm, low winds. Can't complain. No mum's trying to park on top of me as I pass the school with double red lines (which ate ignored).
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
Circumstances conspired to make this morning fantastic - utterly knackered yesterday meant asleep by 10, waking at just gone six (later than usual and actually managing a half-decent 8hrs for once).

Got all of the things done on time before leaving - including a few press-ups and even managed to push the vacuum around a bit so I don't return to the visual noise left by my shedding socks on the carpet.

Out into the glorious sun on very quiet roads, wafting along at a sedate pace with no relevant time constraints to appease. Two sausages today; although I evidently dropped the ball on this one as peering into the bag upon arrival at work revealed them to be far more crisp and delicious than I'd anticipated from afar in the butchers.

Got a smile off an older lady as she sat in traffic and had a brief exchange with another as she passed on her bike, regarding the high quality of the well-irrigated blackberries on the tow path that I was plucking from the hedge.

Now alone in the office listening to some really nice summery Jungle - a model morning, for this brief moment in time everything seems OK :smile:


IMG_20260722_082930.jpg


IMG_20260722_083748.jpg
 
Top Bottom