Talk to me about aluminium, mid depth, rim brake clincher wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

Evening all,

Having had my bike for a few years I think it’s time to upgrade my wheels. I’m currently running a Triban 5, only changes from stock are Michelin Pro endurance 4 tyres(on 25mm) and i’ve Added some aero bars.

Most of my cycling is on flat surface, there’s not a whole lot of climbs I do on a regular basis, and in a few months i’ll be moving to Lincolnshire which is flat, too. Hence some wheels with a bit of depth, somewhere maybe 30-35mm depth would be good (and aero spokes too, if possible)

I’ve been browsing this morning and have found a few options.

Vision Team 35 review here (looks to be difficult to get hold of)
Hunt race aero - review here

I’m looking for any advice regarding these I’ve found, or obviously open to suggestions from you lot :smile: this will be my first upgrade of significance, open to spending up to £3-400 for a big upgrade. I’m currently running Shimano Sora 9 speed, though in future I expect to change my group set up to 105(10 or 11 speed) so the wheels would need to be compatible with current 9 speed with a spacer

Cheers!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Handbuilt wheels with Mavic CXP33 or Hunt rims ?

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

Handbuilt wheels with Mavic CXP33 or Hunt rims ?

Never thought or done any research into having my own wheels built; is it not expensive? CXP33 rims don’t seem to be available anywhere

Hunts do seem to have a couple of good options though for around £400

Last edited:
OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

Meant to add H Son - not too expensive for handbuilts - you spec them.
I'll have a look through :smile: I think the SL42 rims would suit me best
this ^^^^

for your budget I’d go hand built, you won’t regret it.

however for £400 you might be better to chop in your existing bike and buy a better bike with a higher quality frame and 11 speed groupset, it’s an expensive journey upgrading peacemeal.

I get that, but for the past few weeks I've been debating on upgrades, going to Carbon, not going to carbon, checking weights on all kinds of models, looked at 105, converting 9 speed to 11 speed and all kinds of stuff. My current idea is to get some new wheels now that will be an upgrade but would also fit a new frame and a new groupset :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll have a look through :smile: I think the SL42 rims would suit me best

I get that, but for the past few weeks I've been debating on upgrades, going to Carbon, not going to carbon, checking weights on all kinds of models, looked at 105, converting 9 speed to 11 speed and all kinds of stuff. My current idea is to get some new wheels now that will be an upgrade but would also fit a new frame and a new groupset :smile:
Assuming your new bike has rim brakes as many come with discs now so you’d need different wheels

Ajax Bay

Guru
As part of your consideration, IF you want to future proof to allow you to go to 11sp (on a future bike), be sure to get wheels with an 11sp freehub. These are different (slightly wider space for the cassette) that your current freehub which can manage 9sp (as now) and 10sp, with a 1.8mm spacer. Keep the current wheels to sell with the bike.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Have a look at "Kinetic 1", They do deep section alloy rims 42mm, and also carbon, i run the alloy 42mm they use sapin bladed spokes, sealed bearing hubs, Mine are ultra strong, but not the lightest, :okay:

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

In the end gents I went for a set of Hunts aero wide wheels. Should be built in January. H plus sons hand built were a bit more than I was looking to spend be honest. Plus, the Hunts looked perfect for what I was looking for, including cost :smile:

Top Bottom