Talk to me about Brompton gear upgrades ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I have an M3L, bought because it was only ever intended for use around central London, where three gears are plenty.

I'm now making more use of it in hillier territory and thus looking at a gear upgrade of some kind. I definitely need more lower-end and more steps, and a little higher-end would also be nice.

Options I'm at least vaguely aware of, together with my current impressions of pros & cons, are:

1. Brompton 6-speed upgrade
Pros: The cheapest option, reliable
Cons: I had a 6-speed before and am not a fan of the two-lever system

2. Sturmley Archer 8-speed hub
Pros: Not that much more expensive than 6-speed, twist-grip (which I love), greater range
Cons: Reliability of the SA hub seems to get mixed reviews?

3. Nuvinci CVT hub
Pros: Stepless, twist-grip, large range
Cons: Expensive

4. 11-speed Alfine
Pros: Range, reputation
Cons: HOW MUCH???!!! :ohmy: Not twist-grip?

All input welcomed.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
2nd hand schlumpf mountain drive.

jackthelad

6 speed upgrade about £250 if you go for the lower 44t at the front add another £50 total £300
8 speed hub supply and fit about £300
I dont think the mountain drive,alfine 8, alfine 11 or the Rohloff hubs are worth the extra cost,but then everyman to his own.Cheaper getting fitter,

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have been thinking along similar lines and looking out for a SA 8 speed to 'DIY' convert onto my Brom.

Same issues as the OP, a lower gear and a higher gear would be really nice to have but not keen on the twin lever system, much preferring a twist shift or a single 'up/down' trigger.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

6 speed upgrade about £250

I've seen this for £200 fitted, but would happily pay £100 more for twist-grip even without the extra range of the 8-speed SA provided it's reliable. Some reviews say it is, some say it isn't, so wondering if that's indicative of variable quality-control ...

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Thanks. From what I can see, that only gives lower gears, so I'd have my three existing ones, plus three lower ones. That would address the bottom end, but not give me the extra top-end I'd like.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Increase the ring size. You can go up to 60 teeth without it affecting the fold. There is a M.D with an arm for the Brompton so no special cutting of the frame.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
image.jpg

Top Bottom