talking torques

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatblokish

Guru
Could someone please answer the folllowing two-part question.

1. How many torques does a 14 stone bloke, standing on a 120mm long allen key in a size eight shoe, apply to the central chainset tightening nut thingy of a 10 year old ultegra triple at an altitude of 75 m above sea level? (other relevant data may include the colour of the bike: red, and my favourite colour: red).

2. Is the answer to item 1. above sufficient?

ta

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Too much, unless you and your bike are somewhere higher in orbit...

A 10 year old Ultegra is probably the FC-6400 for square tapered bb? If so according to Park it needs 305 - 391 lb-inches of torque, say 350 lb-inches. What you need is a 350 inch long white weightless allen key extension with pink dots and hang a pound of Tate & Lyle demerara at the other end.

If you must you can also hang your 74lb 50" flat-screen TV on the end of your 120mm (4.72 inches) allen key.

Hope it helps.

1. As its a size 8 boot - 77 ft lbs. If you had the equivilent metric boots (size 42) it would be 104Nm.
Stll a fair bit more than Park says

2. No. Unless you have rounded off the allen bolt, in which case, yes.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you are balancing daintily on the very end of the horizontal allen key (like a ballerina on her points) and if you are totally naked, the answer is 104.64 Nm.

BTW, I would attempt this feat of bike servicing in a very private place....:whistle:

EdgEy

Torque is simply distance from pivot multiplied by force.
14st = 88.9kg
Force of gravity = 9.81 newtons per kilogram
Distance 0.12m

0.12 * 9.81 * 88.9 = 104.7Nm, as slowmotion says.

Not quite sure what you intend to use this for though.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Torque is simply distance from pivot multiplied by force.
14st = 88.9kg
Force of gravity = 9.81 newtons per kilogram
Distance 0.12m

0.12 * 9.81 * 88.9 = 104.7Nm, as slowmotion says.

Not quite sure what you intend to use this for though.

Piemaster beat me too it. He deserves the credit. I merely suggested suitable "workwear".

EdgEy

Piemaster beat me too it. He deserves the credit. I merely suggested suitable "workwear".

Didn't quite catch that. Oh well.
I'm a Physics student and I wouldn't have thought of the 1kg bag of sugar on the end of a pole as a makeshift torque wrench. Clever idea.

Top Bottom