Tamworth audax rides (shameless plug)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fungus

Veteran
New organiser this year as marmite Geoff Cleaver has handed over to Clive datameister Handy. Rides from 50k to 200k all with nice quiet laney routes & weather guaranteed
thumbsup.gif
The December tinsel & lanes 200k will be available to enter later in the year.

209 24 Apr 10 Tamworth Two Battles
08:00 Sat [2300m] BR £5.00 Clive Handy
Apr 24 - Tamworth 209
157 24 Apr 10 Tamworth Towering Trees
09:00 Sat [1630m] BP £5.00 Clive Handy
Apr 24 - Tamworth 157

208 21 Aug 10 Tamworth Wem, we get there
08:30 Sat [1400m] BR £4.50 Clive Handy
Aug 21 - Tamworth 208
117 21 Aug 10 Tamworth Charnwood Challange
09:00 Sat [1094m] BP £4.00 Clive Handy
Aug 21 - Tamworth 117
51 21 Aug 10 Tamworth National Forest 50
09:30 Sat [400m] BP £3.50 Clive Handy
Aug 21 - Tamworth 51

Easy to get to the start from M42 junction 10.

jimboalee

117 again.

Same route?

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Veteran
Yes same as last year, out to Stonehurst farm centre then to the pub at diseworth & back to amington via Packington. Hope to see you there.

jimboalee

fungus said:
Yes same as last year, out to Stonehurst farm centre then to the pub at diseworth & back to amington via Packington. Hope to see you there.

If you do see me, it'll be at the start.
I start off last and ride the route at my own pace.

Strangely, last year I was first back of the 100km riders. I must have gone past everyone else by taking the A42 trunk road instead of the windy country lanes.

jimboalee

fungus said:
The 200k is a very nice route with very little climbing if your tempted. I'll be riding the 200k.

I'm collecting 100s for the Brevet 2000.

I know they're only 1/2 day rides, but I can get a DIY 100s done after work in the evening sunshine ;). Not many of them done last year.

p90ade

i quite fancy doing a audax, only ever ridden on my own or with the brotherinlaw, and been near tamworth this sounds good.
sorry for sounding very naive but whats involved and what sort of speed/time are they done in?

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Veteran
p90ade said:
i quite fancy doing a audax, only ever ridden on my own or with the brotherinlaw, and been near tamworth this sounds good.
sorry for sounding very naive but whats involved and what sort of speed/time are they done in?

Depending on what distance you will be comfortable with there are two rides in August 51k (min speed 10kph & max speed 20kph) & 117k (min speed 12.5kph & max 30kph). Follow the link & print of an entry form, send to the organiser along with 2 sae's & a cheque for the entry fee + £2 insurance if necessary. You will receive a route sheet with directions to follow on the day, this is best attatched to your handlebars so you can read it as you are going along. There may be information controls so bring a pen as you will need to write the answer in your brevet card which you will be given at the start. When you have finished the ride hand your brevet card to the organiser, this will then be validated by audax uk and returned to you in the second sae. There will always be plenty of time for drinking tea & eating cake along the way :biggrin:

p90ade

Thanks fungus for the info, I'll have a look at the link, are they big events with a good atmosphere? Iv read on some sites that's mudguards are needed, I'm assuming not in august?

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Veteran
Mudguards are not required, they are reccomended though if it is wet. There is usually a decent turnout & you can usually find someone who is plodding along at your own speed. You have five hours to cover 31 miles on the 51k ride so you can either rush around or enjoy the day and chill out at the cafe's.

p90ade

speed isnt worring me realy, normaly do around 60 miles on a sunday morning in about 4 hours, just wondered what to expect.
thanks for the help and info.

Top Bottom