Tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldridge

Hi folks

I've been offered a tandem I think it's 1951 are spares readily available?

I think it needs a crank arm + a saddle.

Thanks for any advice.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi folks

I've been offered a tandem I think it's 1951 are spares readily available

I think it needs a crank arm + a saddle.

Thanks for any advice.

Pics required for sure

I should think most parts are available and there are normally quite a few old tandems from similar era going cheap on e bay that you could buy for spares

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
An old tandem which hasn't been modernised will have non-standard bottom-brackets, headseat, brakes and probably gears. Cranks will probably be standard cottered (it's unlikely to be a cross-over drive).
I think Armstrong were one of the better machines in their day.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Cheers Ian H

It's a single speed tandem and yes cotter pin cranks the bottom brackets appear to be in really good shape tbh, just trying to source parts and get it back on the road if possible.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers Eldridge.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Cheers Ian H

It's a single speed tandem and yes cotter pin cranks the bottom brackets appear to be in really good shape tbh, just trying to source parts and get it back on the road if possible.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers Eldridge.

Come on we need pictures

It will be fun for sure sourcing the correct era parts but you should be able to source something that will do the job

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

I can email you a pic if you like, that's the best I can do.

Thanks

Eldridge

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Here is @eldridge tandem , looks a nice project

And look at that large flange front hub total class , fit a saddle , crank arm and a chain and enjoy please please do no re paint

thumbnail_image1.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190320-114522.png
    Screenshot_20190320-114522.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Thanks for adding the photo Martin.

Regards

Eldridge

I think the wheels need rebuilding tbh. I deffo won't be repainting though. Any suggestions on preserving the paint that is left.

A mate a work let me have it, he was pretty gutted when I took it away really, he said he'd toured round Scotland on it with his brother when he was younger, he realises though that it's going to a good home and will be looked after.
I promised to take him for a spin when it's up and running.

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

Eldridge.

Oh one other question, are cotter pin cranks all the same size?

Also what ratio crank do you think would of been on the double?

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The BB axles are standard, the shells will be oversized (to modernise involves a bit of brazing: sleeve the shell and re-tap).
It used to have a hub-brake on the rear, so that's probably not the original wheel. The brake calipers are definitely not original.
The size of the final-drive chainring will depend on what you put on the back. Your challenge is that tandems tend to require both lower and higher gears than solos.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Hi folks bit of an update

The original owner came into work this morning with the rear chain ring the only trouble is its missing the small ring.
So I'm on the hunt for a Wilson 3 bolt chain ring 32 teeth if anyone has one I know it's a long shot.

I'm assuming the the small ring on the double has the same number of teeth as the small ring at the front is this correct?

Anyway thanks for any help.

Eldridge.

Top Bottom