Tannus Armour - Tyre Insert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your trike only has one back wheel?

I’ve got the full Tannus tyres, I’ve got no complaints about them, these inserts mean you get the Tannus puncture proof-ness, but keep the characteristics of your tyres, sounds good to me. The only downside, would be that you have no control over tyre pressure, but that’s not a big consideration for me, personally.

tom73

Guru
spotted plenty walking off with them at the bike show. So plenty think they are good idea they do take up a fair bit of room inside though when i had a look at them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
They look a big improvement over what I found the other day, which was the remains of some sort of aftermarket airless foam insert inside a pair of 26" roadster donor wheels. The things I removed were a lurid pink shade, and whatever foam-like qualities they once possessed had long gone, and what came out of the tyre carcasses was a big pile of crumbly pink powder, a large proportion of which remained stuck to the inside of the tyre and rim and had to be scraped out. One of the tyres was just bin fodder, so it didn't matter, but the other one wasn't perished so I had to spend several minutes getting it all off, and if I had done it indoors, it would have made a horrible mess of the floor as there was a large quantity of this stuff and it went absolutely everywhere.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My local bike shop has fitted two.

Early reports from the customer are positive.

I think the inserts are aimed at mountain bikes to allow the user to have their knobbly tyre of choice.

Tannus airless tyres are not available in mountain bike style because the technology won't work.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It won't be aimed at road because there's already tyres fitting that niche

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Any idea what the things were that I took out the remains of then? The back wheel has a SA hub dated 9/84, and the salvaged rear tyre was a Raleigh Record 26" x 1 3/8", with "Foreign" moulded on the sidewall. I'm assuming these foam things were marketed to commuters who were sick of getting regular punctures back in the days before things like Schwalbe Marathons. They added a substantial amount of weight, noticeable even on an already heavy steel rim.

Smudge

Veteran
Any idea what the things were that I took out the remains of then? The back wheel has a SA hub dated 9/84, and the salvaged rear tyre was a Raleigh Record 26" x 1 3/8", with "Foreign" moulded on the sidewall. I'm assuming these foam things were marketed to commuters who were sick of getting regular punctures back in the days before things like Schwalbe Marathons. They added a substantial amount of weight, noticeable even on an already heavy steel rim.

Its possible they are similar to the mousse tubes that are sometimes used on motorcycles, usually dirt bikes, so you dont get a puncture out in the middle of nowhere. They were also used in the Dakar rally.
I dont know much about them, but have heard they do break apart after a certain amount of use.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
These things were 100% airless, no tube or valve even included at all - but were just inserted in place of the normal inner tube inside regular pneumatic tyre carcasses.. The ride quality must have been horrible as even pushing the bike along whilst walking with it felt draggy, never mind with a seated rider aboard.

Smudge

Veteran
These things were 100% airless, no tube or valve even included at all - but were just inserted in place of the normal inner tube inside regular pneumatic tyre carcasses.. The ride quality must have been horrible as even pushing the bike along whilst walking with it felt draggy, never mind with a seated rider aboard.

Thats what mousses are, they are just a hoop made of some type of spongy material that go inside a knobbly tyre. But dirt bike mc's run at low tyre pressures for better traction so any rolling resistance isn't important.
I cant imagine they would be much good for bicycles, or they would be well known already to be of use on push bikes. I guess a bicycle equivalent mousse could have been made in the past and quietly died a death as a product.

Top Bottom