Tap water...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
When it tastes funny......

I drink far too little water particularly on my commute so it isn't unusual for me to drink water that has been on the bike for over a month. And that's not been in the fridge, it's been sat on the bike in the car park/conservatory at home. I change it when it gets a funny taste. No ill effects so far.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I just use it straight from the tap, into the bottle, onto the bike and go.
Though the water in a bottle in the car door pocket can be there for weeks.

asterix

Comrade Member
this maybe a daft question.

I fill a bottle of water from the tap and put it in the fridge on the 1st of the month... what's the use-by date?

I used to sail a boat. It had large stainless steel water tanks which we refilled every so often from shore facility taps and rarely emptied them completely. Never had a problem with bad water and certainly didn't boil it before drinking. Only treatment was a sterilising tablet once in a while.

I always boil my bidons - don't know where they've been!

Night Train

Maker of Things
I suppose another factor is what the container is.

I tend to chill tap water, in plastic drinks bottles for taking out with me, and after a while I have to dispose of the bottles and replace them due to a plastic/chemical taste leaching into the water.
It seems not be dependent on how long the water is in the bottle but how old the bottle is when it is used.

I must get some decent water bottles.

I thought that would encourage algae growth?
I would too but it seems (just looked it up) that it is widely used to kill off bugs. I guess it has to be used fairly soon and not left long enough for something else to grow or perhaps it gets too hot to allow green stuff to grow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

Not sure if it would work here with our lack of sun!!

Top Bottom