Target and a spill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I set my first ever target at 5000 miles this year and have been chasing it for most of the year. It looked pretty easy a month ago, but crap weather meant with 225 miles left as of this morning I had a lot to do.

Anyway I went out this morning and in less than 5 miles I came off. Thick white frost on a cycle path and I had a small kerb to mount which runs almost parallel with the path. I do it about twice a week with no dramas, but with the frost my wheel skidded along it rather than climbing it and I went down. Sailed along the path and cracked my head on a pole. I got up - felt fine and continued another 40 miles or so. I got a puncture, spare tube also failed and I phoned for a run home.

After getting home on removing my gear I found a big bruise on my leg, halfways down my shin. Tender to touch, very blue with a big hard lump. I'm sitting contemplating whether to go to A and E for an x-ray to rule out a bony injury.

At the moment that outstanding 180 miles to make my target is looking like an awful lot!

craven2354

Unless its broken I can't see a and e doing much for you if your in pain I'd nip to the gp's for some pain relief and ask him his opinion :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
and I had a small kerb to mount which runs almost parallel with the path.
Was this on a part of the cycle route, or were you (horror of horrors) cycling on the pavement?
If the former it might help others if you reported the incident to the local authority as these transitions should be flush, although many roads engineers like to construct a bump because that was the way it was done in the old days.:sad:
Cycling by Design, Sect. 6.2.6 Para 1
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk...lications-and-consultations/cycling-by-design

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Was this on a part of the cycle route, or were you (horror of horrors) cycling on the pavement?
If the former it might help others if you reported the incident to the local authority as these transitions should be flush, although many roads engineers like to construct a bump because that was the way it was done in the old days.:sad:
Neither really ..... I was going the wrong way on a dual carriageway!

The cyclepath is quite broken with lots of giveways. I use it, as does almost everyone else, because the dual carriageway is very busy. At this point there is a metal barrier with a 'cyclists dismount' sign. Luckily there is a small layby/ parking bay just alongside the road. I along with everyone else I see check ahead to make sure there isn't a car coming, nip into the layby and then back onto the cyclepath at the other side of the gate.

So I can't really blame anyone other than myself! Here's a link on google maps.

Ouch! Being based down south now and only back in Scotland for Christmas cycling targets are a lot easier down there (at least in Peterborough). I deliberately put some effort in to achieve my targets down there as it transpires I would have reached it here (its been mild and wet in Fife) but conditions can quickly change and I've no desire to continue a ride after dark when the temperature drops!

wisdom

Guru
Hard luck with todays troubles.The cycle path i use daily is allways icy as soon as the temperature drops.At the moment it has a fair bit of broken glass on it i have e mailed the council but i dont expect a result.
Good luck with the rest of your target.

Top Bottom