Target practice!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had one of those commutes home yesterday.

First a JM carpets van skims me, fast, then shortly afterwards a taxi, then one of those ned cars pulls out in front of me, all one after the other! I was probably cycling somewhere between secondary and primary here. It usually serves me well on this road.:biggrin:

Later I get skimmed again. This time I put my hand out and touch the car as it passes :blush:.

Finally close to home someone overtakes me, nice and wide but admittedly next to a junction, chap in a 4x4 coming out nearly pulls right out in front of him. 4x4 man was of course holding his mobile phone in his hand (although the picture didn't really pick that up).

I decided to mute the sound on this one to protect the innocent. It is amazing how well my new helmet camera picks up my mutterings!!!:biggrin:

A good test of the new camera though as I could make out all of the registrations:biggrin:

frog

And breathe . . . :biggrin:

Classic self-gratification artists you get in your neck of the woods Mag. I thought the first one was in the same place you had the argument with the speeding bus earlier this year?

I've come to the conclusion that they get their just deserts in the fullness of time. It's always bad the first week the kids are back at school because the planks have had six weeks to drive like loonies and haven't comprehended that everyone is back on the roads so a bit more care is needed.

Just wait until the clocks change in October for the reall nutters to come out of the woodwork :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

frog said:
And breathe . . . :biggrin:

Classic self-gratification artists you get in your neck of the woods Mag. I thought the first one was in the same place you had the argument with the speeding bus earlier this year?

Well spotted! Yes it is a problem area for me and maybe I should have moved out further earlier on this occasion.
I've come to the conclusion that they get their just deserts in the fullness of time. It's always bad the first week the kids are back at school because the planks have had six weeks to drive like loonies and haven't comprehended that everyone is back on the roads so a bit more care is needed.

Just wait until the clocks change in October for the reall nutters to come out of the woodwork :biggrin:

Kids have been back a while here in Scotland. The volume of traffic certainly increased significantly. During the holidays there was a section I could scoot down at 30mph along with the cars. Now I filter down in between them (two lanes) as they sit grumbling about the heavy traffic. I enjoy both scenarios fo different reasons :blush:

domtyler

Über Member
Good god, that looked worse than East London driving standards. Must be a truck of the camera I guess. and put the sound back on, I'm sure we can handle a few choice expletives.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
Good god, that looked worse than East London driving standards. Must be a truck of the camera I guess. and put the sound back on, I'm sure we can handle a few choice expletives.

No tricks I can assure you! The van especially freaked me quite a bit. It was very close and going well above the 30mph speed limit.

I'd better keep the sound off on this one. Especially in case I ever show the videos to my mum! :biggrin::biggrin:

dondare

Über Member
One section had a cycle-lane, and you weren't using it!
Cycle-lanes give motorists an entirely incorrect idea about where you should be riding and how much room you need. God knows why anyone thinks they're a good idea.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
By chuff, that's nasty - the van and taxi made me breathe in just watching them! Is the hand gesture you're doing the open palmed "Why?" one? I find I do that a lot on Manchester Road :/

OP
OP
M

magnatom

dondare said:
One section had a cycle-lane, and you weren't using it!
Cycle-lanes give motorists an entirely incorrect idea about where you should be riding and how much room you need. God knows why anyone thinks they're a good idea.

I use that cycle lane as a guide. I know I am in the correct road position if I'm outside the lane. I suppose that is a useful lane after all!!:blush:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

John the Monkey said:
By chuff, that's nasty - the van and taxi made me breathe in just watching them! Is the hand gesture you're doing the open palmed "Why?" one? I find I do that a lot on Manchester Road :/

Yes it was a 'why?' signal, although the language that accompanied it was a little more 'choice' :blush::ohmy:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
Commiserations on the bad commuting day. At least they're few and far between for the most part.

They are. I haven't had one like that for a while. Despite how bad it looks and the fact I grump about it, I never felt in any danger, as I always know I have some wiggle room to the side if I need it.

Although, all I need is a van like that to overtake me just 30cm closer and........:blush:

Thats why I need to keep hassling First bus to get a move on with this Give Cyclists Room Campaign. I should be meeting with them this week. Apparently things have been held up due to changing personnel etc:rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like a fairly normal commute to me...... get the close passes and the pull out in fronts a lot.... ah well at least I'm not stuck in the car. The ones that pull out usually get the 'hurry up' signal as I'm perched on their rear bumper. Had an audi pull out in front as I was approaching a junction at 30mph, no choice but to sprint round him on an mtb...wrong side of road (no cars coming) then nipped back in front of him and continued (bet he had a shock)
..... Slightly later a mini cooper pulled out and just didn't accelerate - so 'hurry up' was signaled and shouted.

Chill..... don't get too worked up as you get the same issues in a car or on a bike......at least you aren't stuck in the car....that's how I think about it. I'm really glad to be back into bike commuting after a number of years traveling long distances to work in the car... refreshing.

Top Bottom