Targets for a Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

Hi WozzaTT

The suggestions above about a summer event - charity or something are good. I did that last year - stared cyling seriously (ish) in March/April time and registered for the British Heart Foundation Coventry Bike Ride at the start of October. I needed a goal to work towards so that seemed like a good one. I did the 30 mile route and completed it pretty easily. This year i'm doing the dartmoor classic - 65 miles of ups and downs........

There are also some nice rides out around the villages by Solihull - Dickens Heath, Catherine de Barnes etc. The roads are fairly quiet too.

wmtlynx

Or alternatively, you could head out the other way! From the Drawbridge pub head south and cycle along the canal path to Stratford and catch the train back! A friend of mine did this and enjoyed a lovely sunny evening ride (well, it was in the summer!). The downside was he missed the last train out of Stratford back to Shirley so had to call his wife to come and meet him as he started to cycle home along the A34.:whistle:

Southbound you could also do a circular via the canals. Go as far as Kingswood Junction, then back to Shirley via the Grand Union Canal to Lode Lane or Olton, and on the roads back to your house..... although the Stratford suggestion is a great one, as it is very idylic. Just watch out for the angry swan I came across somewhere near Wooten Wawen when walking the route!

Might try cycling it myself in the spring :-) Only about 27 miles from my house to do the entire length, too. I say spring, because I am currently being cautious of rural canals this time of year. Had had to walk through No Man's Land on Saturday while the Toffs were blowing wildlife to pieces in woods adjacent to the towpath on the Grand Union north of Hatton. Very unnerving when you don't know if they are aware of you, and not a pretty sight either!)

For the first couple of months you are going to have to put aside some time for keeping your new bike free of crud so bear that in mind, you will also get to know your machine much better. An hour or so per day along canal paths will keep you motivated and will see steady improvement to your fitness. Keep in the back of your mind the better weather that spring will bring and look to late March/early April as the time to up the ante and go for 30-40 or more miles with more undulating terrain. By the time summer arrives you will be well on your way to a good level of fitness and quite handy with bike tools too. Above all else though, enjoy it :thumbsup:

Bill

StuartG

slower but further
If you are unfit I would not worry about speed. As long as you can go fast enough to keep your balance! The object is just to keep going in as gentle a way as you can. Your first aim is to get fit enough to start training and without putting yourself off too early. Soon your body's adaption to riding will takeover and your performance will increase rapidly but too soon too hard is a danger to watch for.

You talk of towpaths and they can be wonderful - but I would try to keep to well tarmacked surfaces at first. The difference in drag between tarmac and a muddy path is of the order of a magnitude. 1 mile can feel like 10. Ideal when you are wanting to train but not such a good idea when starting.

Cycling downhill is great. Sadly the uphill return always seems a little further. Planning your routes to avoid climbs or take them early is a good idea. Think about cadence. Test your high gears downhill and make sure you are on your granny gear for any decent slopes until you have built up some muscle. You may be able to get up in a higher gear but if you are wrong you will suffer later. Always cycle as easy as possible until you know you can do more and are hungry for it.

All in all enjoy it. It isn't a race (yet) Upping the challenge a little bit each week adds up to a huge achievement over the year. Just concentrate on going both in distance and refgularity. Your body will do the rest. And it can be like a new body 10 years younger. If not smash the mirror ...

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Don't get me wrong - I'm not fixated on speed or anything, it's just a case of setting little targets initially to maintain my interest, otherwise I can see the bike being on ebay by the summer!

I have a lot of free time on my hands at the moment, particularly during the week, and I want to avoid just aimlessly setting off each day thinking 'I'll go on a little bike ride'. I'll soon get bored with that!

aberal

Guru
Don't get me wrong - I'm not fixated on speed or anything, it's just a case of setting little targets initially to maintain my interest, otherwise I can see the bike being on ebay by the summer!

I have a lot of free time on my hands at the moment, particularly during the week, and I want to avoid just aimlessly setting off each day thinking 'I'll go on a little bike ride'. I'll soon get bored with that!

You'll either become a cyclist or you won't. It's not something that anyone can persuade you to be or not to be. It's something which will evolve within you. Personally, I've never been interested in speed either, though upping your average speed can become a bit addictive, I've found. To keep you interested, day in day out I'd suggest at the simplest level, you should set yourself target distances - increasing by 10% per week. Aim for 20, 25, 30, 35 etc. Get a basic cycle computer if you don't own one already (a 15 quid one is all you really need) and record your progress - try this for a starter. Keeping a record cuts out the aimlessness of it all. My best advice would be to aim for a fifty miler and if you achieve that, set the next bar at 75 miles. The extra energy expended once you get above around 30 miles is quite considerable so don't underestimate how hard it can be to increase your mileage from (say) 25 to 40 miles. 25 miles out and 25 miles back...or 50 miles out and take the train back. Learn to take food and enough water with you. Try buying some cycling books and see if they inspire you - Mark Beaumaont or Alistair Humphries or similar and see if they inspire you to greater things.

MLC

Wozza TT,

I would pick up a short ish circular route first say may be within 2-3 mile radius of your home so if you do struggle at any point you haven't got far to limp back. Alternatively within close proximity to a train track so you can catch a train back (if thats possible). Ride that to establish your base level of fitness then just look to up the distance or speed in say 5-10% increments each week.

So if your first ride is 10 miles look to do 11 next week and so on. Once you have built up your base to about 20-25 miles with ease then you can either carry on increasing distance or increasing speed. Don't go all out at first. Little and often is far better. It is better to come back knowing that you had a good ride but could do it a little quicker or longer next time than to limp back in agony with your quads cramping on every incline let alone hill as happenned to me at the end of the last winter.

Another tip I find is that the first 5-7 miles are hard going so don't get disheartened. If you can break that then once warmed up it becomes a hell of a lot easier.

I would recommend joining a local club to keep up the interest levels and also avoid complacency. I found that riding on my own (often) got a bit boring and there is nothing like the company of others to force you out of your comfort zone a little and share a cafe stop with but of course that is all down to personal choice.

Good luck

chris-s

I've only been cycling since the summer and after some great advice from the guys and gals on the forum have really enjoyed it.

I was quite surprised how quickly my cycling ability improved and without horrendous effort. Joining a cycle club, for me, was a great idea as it enables you to find other routes, keep steady pace as well as the social side of it, even if they are all 20 years my senior. I also found that repeating a regular circuit was a good way of seeing your improvement over time. I use the bikehike website to plan out some routes, at least to get an idea of hills tho I'm no longer afraid of them anymore. As an idea, when I first got my bike I struggled to do a 16 mile ride with three big hills to my parents at much over 13mph, I did it a week ago whilst purposely trying to go easy due to a knee injury and averaged over 17mph.

Good luck!

Chris

bronzey

I too am new to cycling but only have a beaten up mountain bike.
I ride it to work but was thinking of something different to lose some weight.
I have a bad back (Discs) and need some opinions.
Which bike is better for me?
1, Mountain bike
2, Road bike
I was thinking of mountain bike because i wouldn't be bending over so much.
Am i right or wrong please advise.

bronzey

A hybrid is a cross between the two: easier to ride than a mtb on the road, but with flat handlebars rather than drops which would be easier on your back. Contrary to popular belief not all hybrids are clunky Dutch bikes!

Your local bike shop will advise you and should let you go for a test ride on different bikes to help you decide.

Good luck!

Thanks very much.

I have a bad back (Discs) and need some opinions.
Which bike is better for me?

A hybrid is a cross between the two

I have a glass back (had a couple of op's). I ride a hybrid about 100 miles a week and have been doing for just under 12 months now. I think the hybrid is the right option.

You'll be amazed how your core strength (y'know - all the muscles your physio keeps banging on about) is improved and it's way more fun than hours of pilates. After 12 months I am able to carry a ruck sack, sit on "comfy" chairs and even lug a golf-bag around for the 1st time in ages.

bronzey

I have a glass back (had a couple of op's). I ride a hybrid about 100 miles a week and have been doing for just under 12 months now. I think the hybrid is the right option.

You'll be amazed how your core strength (y'know - all the muscles your physio keeps banging on about) is improved and it's way more fun than hours of pilates. After 12 months I am able to carry a ruck sack, sit on "comfy" chairs and even lug a golf-bag around for the 1st time in ages.

Thanks every1 for the heads up.
I'll check the hybrids out.

Top Bottom