Targets for a Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WozzaTT

Hi,

I'm taking a career break for a period of time this year - might be a month, might be 12 months!

Anyway, I want to take the opportunity to get a bike and get fit. Rather than just aimlessly riding off up the road for an hour or two every day what sort of targets should I set myself and what can I do to make it fun/interesting?

I've got an app on my phone which will track where I've gone and show my average speed etc etc and I'd like to use this but are there any hints and tips on how to keep it interesting/challenging?

BTW - I'm 42, hideously unfit and will be getting a Boardman hybrid bike!

TIA

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Cangratulations on deciding to make a change.

For me, cycling is the only form of cardio exercise I enjoy (apart from mixed martial arts, but im too old and easily damaged for that now).

Firstly, I would get yourself set for a bit of a disapointment about how little and how slowly you will ride. I know I was when I started. The good news is that if you keep at it when you can the improvements in distance and speed will come quite quickly. Wjhne you first get you bike, spending a few weeks ambling about with no pressure on speed or distance wont be a bad idea!

When I started I decided to build up the time I was on the bike, and not worry so much about speeds and distance, it was all about saddle time. Once I was up to doing about 30 mins without needing to stop I got a basic computer so I could keep track of my speed and distance.

Im quite lucky living near Birmingham (Hmmm?) as we have loads of canals that I can explore. The towpaths are flat and for the most part in decent condition. This was ideal as I could try to keep a constant speed of say 12mph, or do the journey from Walsall to Birmingham in less than an hour (12 miles) so I had some way of tracking my performance. Once I could do it at 12mph comfortably, then push for 13mph, or try to do it in 55 mins.

HelenD123

Guru
You could build up to doing a cycle tour. Cycling from place to place is great motivation and if you have lots of time you could build up the distances gradually. Or are there friends or family who live a reasonable distance away, say 30 or 40 miles? You could cycle there, stay the night then cycle home. It would be a change from doing the same local loops all the time.

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Cangratulations on deciding to make a change.

For me, cycling is the only form of cardio exercise I enjoy (apart from mixed martial arts, but im too old and easily damaged for that now).

Firstly, I would get yourself set for a bit of a disapointment about how little and how slowly you will ride. I know I was when I started. The good news is that if you keep at it when you can the improvements in distance and speed will come quite quickly. Wjhne you first get you bike, spending a few weeks ambling about with no pressure on speed or distance wont be a bad idea!

When I started I decided to build up the time I was on the bike, and not worry so much about speeds and distance, it was all about saddle time. Once I was up to doing about 30 mins without needing to stop I got a basic computer so I could keep track of my speed and distance.

Im quite lucky living near Birmingham (Hmmm?) as we have loads of canals that I can explore. The towpaths are flat and for the most part in decent condition. This was ideal as I could try to keep a constant speed of say 12mph, or do the journey from Walsall to Birmingham in less than an hour (12 miles) so I had some way of tracking my performance. Once I could do it at 12mph comfortably, then push for 13mph, or try to do it in 55 mins.

Thanks Paul - sound advice!

I live in Shirley (Solihull) so there are some canal tow paths I can check out.

I need to keep it interesting to maintain my interest as I'm a bugger for buying new gadgets/toys and then quickly losing interest. I've got a Canon DSLR which I bought on New Year's Day last year and so far I've taken 15 photos with it!! Come to think of it if I flog it it'll pay for the bike.

zizou

Veteran
There are lots of mini personal challenges you can set yourself - like work your way up to a few distance milestones - 5 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles, 30 miles, 40 miles, 50 miles and so on. As you progress through that and keep getting fitter you'll notice your average speed going up too. (One thing i'd say though is when starting out dont get too hung up on average speeds and particularly comparing them to other people)

Or find a big tough hill that at the moment you cant make up without stopping, keep coming back to this hill and you will see improvements as you get fitter, each time you'll make it up a bit further or with fewer rests, soon you will be making it to the top and the first time you manage that it is a real sense of achievement. Then you'll start looking for a bigger hill :smile:

PaulSecteur

Thanks Paul - sound advice!

I live in Shirley (Solihull) so there are some canal tow paths I can check out.

I have just had a look on google maps and it looks like there is a nice canal run from solihul to the gas streest basin (at the rear of the mailbox). If you take the longer loop that goes out to the mainline just under spag junction its just about 12 miles each way. Once you have done it a few times 12 miles on the canal is a nice distance to start pushing for a bit more speed.

I have spent many a happy hour having a nice tootle down to the gas street basin, having a pint of shandy and watch the world go by for half an hour, then try to get back home (12 miles) in an hour.

Once yo can do that, you will probably start to be thinking of road riding... and hill hunting.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Paulkrakens post is spot-on.

Set yourself a 'Summer' challenge, a certain Charity ride or similar ride. Always a good motivator to work towards.

Finding 'cycle-buddies' is a good way to keep motivated too.

Good choice of starting bike btw, a quality machine that is zippy but can be put to many uses.

aberal

Guru
You could try signing up for a Sportive. Google to see if there are any in your locality (or any you fancy trying) and take the plunge. Having a goal to aim and train for focuses the mind wonderfully and keeps you getting out and about, even if you don't feel like it.
rolleyes.gif

Reiki_chick

why not keep the camera and take a photo on every ride. that way you'll build an amazingly creative visual record of your new world of cycling as well as using what is probably a rather lovely gadget!

good luck with your biking :thumbsup:

caz

And if you fancy riding with other cyclists to get some confidence up, then have a look at the Cycle Solihull website - they cater for novice/beginner cyclists and do a variety of rides from 10 to 25 miles at the weekends - 3 times a month during the winter months and every weekend from April to October.

PaulSecteur

This youtube chanel has a fair bit of canal cycling on it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wmcycling#p/u

If you havent cycled on towpaths before be aware that you can often have long sections where you can get a good move on, then a bridge that has limited headroom and visablilty, as well as a sharp turn on slippery uneven cobles. I woud advise getting off at every bridge the first time out unless it has really good visability so you can check it out on foot first. Also worth having a bell and giving it a few rings as you approach.

wmtlynx

You could go into Brum from Shirley via a circular route along the canals. Head out to the Drawbridge pub where you'll find the Stratford Canal. The towpath is a bit narrow between here and Solihull Lodge, but I've done it as a complete beginner on a BSO with slicks on, in the wet. From there on it can get a little muddy in places but nothing too concerning. At Brandwood Tunnel, you'll come out by some traffic lights on the road above. Cross these and go straight ahead, then left into Shelfield Road and on the RH side a short distance down, you'll find the towpath again. Follow the towpath all the way to the Junction at Kings Norton. There you can turn right up the Worcester & Birmingham Canal all the way to Gas Street Basin. The W & B is pretty straight and in most cases the towpath in very good condition and fairly wide. When you get to Gas Street Basin you can return via the Grand Union Canal.

caz

Or alternatively, you could head out the other way! From the Drawbridge pub head south and cycle along the canal path to Stratford and catch the train back! A friend of mine did this and enjoyed a lovely sunny evening ride (well, it was in the summer!). The downside was he missed the last train out of Stratford back to Shirley so had to call his wife to come and meet him as he started to cycle home along the A34.:whistle:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi,

I'm taking a career break for a period of time this year - might be a month, might be 12 months!

Anyway, I want to take the opportunity to get a bike and get fit. Rather than just aimlessly riding off up the road for an hour or two every day what sort of targets should I set myself and what can I do to make it fun/interesting?

I've got an app on my phone which will track where I've gone and show my average speed etc etc and I'd like to use this but are there any hints and tips on how to keep it interesting/challenging?

BTW - I'm 42, hideously unfit and will be getting a Boardman hybrid bike!

TIA

Hard to give any definite advice without knowing you and where your at health/fitness wise.

I was very unfit 2 years ago when I returned to regular cycling. I used the map and found a 13 mile circuit with not too many hills on start /finished at home. On my first attempt I averaged 8 mph and collapsed in a pool of sweat at the end. Within a few months I was averaging 13 , now I can average 18 on a good day.

At first just concentrate on getting out and enjoying it, dont worry about average speeds, just steadilly keep on increasing the mileage as you feel able to.You will get fitter provided you keep at it.Better to do 5 miles than think about doing 25.

Good Luck

Top Bottom