Tarka trail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Has anyone done it from Bideford to Ilfracombe ? I am planning on doing it in the summer. It is 24 miles each way which is enough for me I say but what is the route like? Any steep hills to climb as I am not the best at going uphill ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just checked it out HERE on Cycle Travel. Very easy and flat as far as Braunton. Big hill in the way from there to Ilfracombe!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I grew up in North Devon and spent a lot of time cycling that stretch. Bideford to Barnstaple is a lovely stretch along the bed of the old railway. It's all very fine gravel and there's some lovely views over the bay. Barnstaple to Braunton also uses the old railway line and is again flat and enjoyable.

From Braunton onwards is where it gets interesting, the route leaves the old railway track and looking at their official website, they recommend following the coast. Hilly is one way to describe it, there are some real leg stretchers along that part and the road is narrow with large hedges. It is beautiful and I rode it a lot when I was younger, but it is tough going in parts. https://www.tarkatrail.org.uk/the-tarka-trail/

@ColinJ has suggested an alternative which is the A361, a less hilly, but busy A road. Not a huge barrel of laughs to ride on. @Dirk rides these roads a lot I think and would be a good bet to offer more up to date advice for that stretch.

Edit: as pointed out below, I'm a dolt and didn't look close enough:blush: the 361 is not a great road, but Colin's post also didn't recommend it!

Last edited:

ColinJ

@ColinJ has suggested an alternative which is the A361, a less hilly, but busy A road. Not a huge barrel of laughs to ride on. @Dirk rides these roads a lot I think and would be a good bet to offer more up to date advice for that stretch.
I didn't! :stop:

Cycle Travel is obsessive with avoiding busy A-roads so I didn't even bother checking to make sure that it had done so this time, but I have now and it does NOT use the A361. It suggests quiet lanes like THIS ONE. :okay:

PS Actually, it is pretty obvious on the screenshot too!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Apologies @ColinJ I wasn't being critical and I really should have looked closer! you'd have thought being local I would have noticed that it doesn't use the 361 like you said.

I'm going to go and get my eyes tested:rolleyes:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If I read it right, the 12.3% gradient is 280 metres long so not that bad for length really and do-able on my 30-34 granny gear. Plenty of time for a bit of training before the spring/summer. Thank you @ColinJ for the graph.

ColinJ

If I read it right, the 12.3% gradient is 280 metres long so not that bad for length really and do-able on my 30-34 granny gear. Plenty of time for a bit of training before the spring/summer. Thank you @ColinJ for the graph.
If you are happy to tackle some hills, then it should be a nice ride!

I rode the Tarka Trail in the opposite direction from Barnstaple as far as Watergate Bridge near Great Torrington. You may not know this, but Streetview have photographed that section of the Tarka Trail (maybe even ALL of it). I discovered it when planning my route. Take a look HERE and follow it along to get an idea of what to expect!

ColinJ

Oh, one thing... The day I did that section of the trail, there was a vicious cross/headwind so even though it is a very good surface and flat, it was actually hard work until my cousin and I turned off the trail and picked up more of a cross/tailwind.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I spent a week in Ilfracombe last August and looked into this. And agree with the comments above.

We hired bikes as a family of 4 and rode the railway line parts but I concluded that the section from Braunton to Ilfracombe isn’t suitable for family riding as it’s along narrow lanes with high hedges and lots of vehicles.

The old railway sections either side of Barnstaple are lovely but very family oriented in the summer. Be prepared to stop at any moment for a wobbly child on a hire bike coming towards you.

a photo of 3/4 of us on the railway section between Biddeford and Barnstaple. I presume my daughter had raced ahead.

Top Bottom