Tarp Tent Scarp 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: Hello .
I have been looking at the Tarp tent Scarp 1 . Classed as an Ultra light shelter .
For going on Cycling and Camping out .
It weighs just over 1 Kg and packs down to 50x 10Cm . Spacious and roomy . Easy to pitch . And 4 seasons .
And acts well In all conditions . Its an American tent .
Has anybody got one . Or know about this tent . :blush: :biggrin:

tbtb

Interesting. I've been looking at the Tarptent Moment. Got as far as mulling over where exchange rates are heading in the next few weeks (answer = I've no idea). The moment is 500g or so lighter than the Scarp 850 vs 1360g) but is more of a summer thing.

I was sweltering last time I pitched in the Loire in summer in a winter mountain tent (terra nova voyager) and fancied the Moment for its light weight at <900g, faster pitching (1 pole, 2 pegs!) and airiness. The moment packs to the same size as the scarp. TBH it sounds quite long, 50 cm, to me.

Expect customs charges if you are in uk - one thread mentioned someone getting a £40 bill iirc.

andym

Über Member
I've been looking at this and it's on the shortlist when/if I decide to replace my existing tent.

However, from reading posts on backpacking forums I think this has it's downsides as well. Condensation does seem to be an issue (I seem to recall some discussion on a clip-in ceiling to catch drips) and to manage the condensation it needs a good airflow. I suspect 'airy' is a more accurate description than '4-season'.

The Vaude Power Lizard is expensive in comparison but also worth considering:

http://www.vaude.co.uk/news-article...-best-backpacking-tent-at-camping-awards-2011

tbtb

Oh, that's interesting! The Vaude does look good for the weight. It's a bit more of an operation, putting it up (good videos on youtube) but on the other hand it looks like it might handle a wider set of conditions than the tarptent. It does have quite a slope on that inner. The packed length is much shorter (35cm) but you have to assemble the wee end poles (they split in the middle) and insert each, where the Moment end poles stay in place when packed.

I think I'm going to have to make a list of all these contenders and review. THe Vaude is clearly one to consider and I wasn't even aware of it! I suppose there's maybe a whole heap of 1kg tents arriving on the market about now.

JackE

Über Member
A friend recently ordered the Scarp 1 so I can let you know how much he was stung for Import Duty in due course. The twin entrances are an excellent feature and the internal space and headroom are widely praised. Also, it's stability in stormy conditions (without the "cross-over" poles) is mentioned by various reviewers.
I'm saving up for one!!

When I was a warrior, we used to use our poncho's or Basha's plus some luggage bunge cord to make our over night shelter, I still use my basha plus my treking poles to make a over night shelter, if I am traveling light for backpacking. both poncho basha can be bought for about 20 pounds in army surplus stores

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: I have checked out the Terra Nova laser,Tent . Very lightweight
It has very good features /Dimensions .
Especially . 2 x entrances . Good for ventilation . On warm Sunny days . Still a bit pricey . £ 258.:ohmy:

andym

Über Member
Still a bit pricey . £ 258.:ohmy:

Plus £20 to replace their useless tent pegs.

tbtb

Plus £20 to replace their useless tent pegs.
They have a confusing naming regime at TN, I find. The two door version Comp is the "Laser Competition 2", isn't it? It's 1250g but as Andym says, you might want to add some weight for replacing the 12 x 2 gram pegs. It's true that the main issue I read about with the laser Comp (1 person, 1 door version) is condensation, so the 2nd door would be helpful. One person described the 1-person version as being coffin-like also so the slightly larger interior (width, but not height unfortunately) is welcome, maybe worth 300 grams. I do see the inner door is mesh at the top, solid at the bottom; no separate mesh door, so you can't lie in bed and keep an eye on the bike, I suppose.

I have a laser comp, single door, the only time I have trouble with condensation is in the winter, having heard many bad things about the Laser comp, I found one in a sale for 150 pounds, so took the risk and bought it. Apart from two niggles which are the pegs supplied and the noise in the wind, as the very light material flaps about. As I use it mainly for my mountain backpacking trips, and any longer multi-day cycle tours, I am really pleased with it.

when cycling I find there is enough room for me and my panniers, as to security cycle wise, if there is no stout post or pole or fence, I secure the cable lock onto the bike then feed the other end inside of the tent to my panniers. but overall I have found it to be a dammed good tent

shirokazan

Veteran
...if there is no stout post or pole or fence, I secure the cable lock onto the bike then feed the other end inside of the tent to my panniers.

How long is the cable, Ticktockmy? If I were to lay my bike on the ground, I don't think I could get it close enough to allow my cable lock to reach under the vestibule to my panniers? My cable lock naturally coils up and this makes it harder to stretch it out to the required length.

tbtb

£150 is a great price! I think I'll give the Comp or Comp1 a whirl. Now onto price hunting..

For anyone else forming shortlists, for light 1-person tents, mine included:

TN Laser Competition 1 (870-930g + ~80g hood, £260, 95cm interior height, small inside)
TN Laser Competition 2 (1.13-1.25kg + ~80g hood, £320, bigger inside but same headroom in middle)
TN Laser Competition (2010 model, 860-920g + ~80g hood, £200, same as Comp 1 but no additional guy points or end venting)
TN (old version) Solar (1.66kg-1.9kg, £220, single longways hoop, great space, separate mesh door)
Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 SL (1077-1275g, £150, mesh interior good for dissipating drips, import duty £40?, 1200mm groundsheet - too thin?)
Tarptent Moment (850g, £145 + £40 import duty, single skin, airy, have to seam seal)
Tarptent Rainbow (900g I think, £150 + £40 import duty, more roomy, velcro door rules it out for me)
MSR Hubba (1160-1360g, £250, nice interior space, headroom)

Actually, now I recount them all, the Tarptent moment starts to look cheap again, just for summer use in France!:rolleyes:

P.H

Über Member
When hiking I've gone to great lengths (and expense) to save a few grams and it's been worth it. When cycle touring, I can't feel the difference between carrying 12 or 15kg. Decent lightweight tents weigh from around 1.5kg, 2.5 if you want some more space. Anything lower than that will in some way be compromised, materials, durability, weather sealing, venting, space, condensation. People pay their money and make their choice, fair enough, but they'd be mistaken if they think there isn't a price to pay for the weight reduction. Terra Nova tents that are labeled as competition are designed just for that, ring them and ask what they'd recommend for cycle touring, it won't be them.

European and American tents are designed with different climates in mind, you'd bake in Arizona in a Hilliberg Nallo and find a BA Speedhouse a bit draughty in the Outer Hebrides, just something else to consider.

JackE

Über Member
My biking pal's Scarp 1 has arrived in UK. He's been "done" for £36 Import Duty.

You can avoid this if you have friends over in US who will: 1) re-wrap the tent in any old brown paper and: 2) hand-write your name and address and: 3) tick the "gift" box on customs declaration. I've been doing this for years with woodworking tools and never been charged duty.

Top Bottom