tarps for one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone on here use a tarp?

Got any good links for info on erection variants?

Particular recommendations?

Also, what size would folks recommend for one for one person?

I have seen some sold as for one, but they seemed rather small to give effective cover to me. Of course that could be just me being ignorant about pitching techniques, hence my other question above.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Sometimes it's something you need to test for yourself, alternatively look at Facebook groups for bikepacking, backpacking and wild camping for inspiration.

simongt

Guru
Was at a festival last weekend and as usual there was the HUGE variety of tents, dormobiles, motorhomes etc.. But a first with one bloke with just a tarp & bivvy bag. He'd erected the tarp 'A frame tent style' but with the very windy conditions prevailing, that pitch lasted about a day. He then pitched it with two adjacent sides pegged down and a single pole holding the opposite corner up which seemed to work, although it didn't give him much space to move around under the tarp. The moral is that the most important consideration after dry ground is to pitch with any opening AWAY from the prevailing wind at the time. ^_^

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm new to Tarping and for my first attempt I have the basic Alpkit Rig 3.5
https://www.alpkit.com/products/rig-3-5
I'ts just about big enough for one person, 2 as per the blurb is a tad optimistic. It's compact, light and with candy cane pegs, Alpkit string and some cheap Alu poles the whole sleep-in packafe is less than 1kg and takes up no space. I've used it in the rain at the Butt of Lewis sheltered behind a low wall and outside the hostel on Bernaray for a few nights using the Brompton as an extra support.
Some pics:

Garden test run:

IMG_4465.JPG

Butt of Lewis:

IMG_4525.JPG

Bernaray (Hostel as back-up).

IMG_4665.JPG

Snug as a bug in Alpkit Hunka bivvy (mostly watertight - used to protect down bag) and Pipedream 400 bag:

IMG_4707.JPG

As you can see it's pretty tight and mimimal. I slept really well too :-)
My 'upgrade' lightweight set-up would be just to use the outer of my Vango Banshee tent which will give more room, 360 degree protection but will be bulkier and heavier, but still much less so than the full Banshee.
So far as a cheap entry to Bivy world the Alpkit Rig 3.5 is a basic start.
For shock-cords I've found that thick Tesco hairbands work brilliantly!!

If I was to buy another tarp I'd probably go for:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps-and-bivy-bags/WE110-11.html

I'm new to Tarping and for my first attempt I have the basic Alpkit Rig 3.5
https://www.alpkit.com/products/rig-3-5
I'ts just about big enough for one person, 2 as per the blurb is a tad optimistic. It's compact, light and with candy cane pegs, Alpkit string and some cheap Alu poles the whole sleep-in packafe is less than 1kg and takes up no space. I've used it in the rain at the Butt of Lewis sheltered behind a low wall and outside the hostel on Bernaray for a few nights using the Brompton as an extra support.
Some pics:

Garden test run:

View attachment 141724

Butt of Lewis:

View attachment 141725

Bernaray (Hostel as back-up).

View attachment 141726

Snug as a bug in Alpkit Hunka bivvy (mostly watertight - used to protect down bag) and Pipedream 400 bag:

View attachment 141727

As you can see it's pretty tight and mimimal. I slept really well too :-)
My 'upgrade' lightweight set-up would be just to use the outer of my Vango Banshee tent which will give more room, 360 degree protection but will be bulkier and heavier, but still much less so than the full Banshee.
So far as a cheap entry to Bivy world the Alpkit Rig 3.5 is a basic start.
For shock-cords I've found that thick Tesco hairbands work brilliantly!!

If I was to buy another tarp I'd probably go for:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps-and-bivy-bags/WE110-11.html

Do you always sleep in your sunglasses?

:laugh:

Graham

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for the replies fab foodie.

Have looked at that in the past.

Somewhat surprised that that proved big enough if the rain was driving.

Don't suppose anyone does a tarp of say 3m by 2.4 or 2.5m?

I get the impression that maybe a 3 by 3m is overkill for one person?

The silwing looks interesting - just needs a single pole?

Where did you get your poles?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks for the replies fab foodie.

Have looked at that in the past.

Somewhat surprised that that proved big enough if the rain was driving.

Don't suppose anyone does a tarp of say 3m by 2.4 or 2.5m?

I get the impression that maybe a 3 by 3m is overkill for one person?

The silwing looks interesting - just needs a single pole?

Where did you get your poles?
The next size up Alkit Tarp is 2.4 x 2.4 from Memory. Yep mine's a bit small in really driving rain. If you're going to do a lot I'd have a bigger size, but this was OK as a starter fun job. At the weekend I'll weigh the Banshee outer plus poles and see where the weight/size limit sits then decide whether I would then buy a bigger tarp .... I may do anyway just for fun!

Poles were: Kombat Bivi Poles (2 Packs) - Out of stock! http://www.springfields.co.uk/kombat-bivi-poles-2-packs.html

Top Bottom