Tarps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Anthony said:
CM, do you find the dd tarp a good size? I like the look of it but I think 3m by 3m seems quite big. I only really want the tarp for cooking under when the weather is bad, a shelter to keep out of the rain when I don't want to be stuck inside my tent, and a bike 'garage' like you mentioned.

I was also looking at the msr e-wing. Has anyone had experience with that? It is extremely light and compact but it seems quite expensive and is it too small? Any thoughts?

3m x 3m seems big, but that is the area covered when flat. Once you start sticking poles under it to create room underneath the floorspace reduces.

If I create an A frame 'tent with it, when I lie under it (at 1.78m tall) I am only 60cm from either end. Sure, there are smaller lighter weight tarps, but at 650g the DD 3x3 tarp isn't in spoke-bending territory either.

HelenD123

Guru
Hacienda71 said:
If you want a tarp to cover rather than ground sheet Decathlon do one with poles which is very good value. We have one for camping.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/tarp-3243880/

Just seen the weight of this. 2.2kg! That's heavier than my tent.

Echolalia

Veteran
The groundsheet on a tent will always get wet, when a human lays down on it on grass, the water will soak through the grass. I have used many things to combat this - Zlite thermarest (too big), bubble wrap and most recently two bin liners courtesy of the long haired library fella at Bangor Uni computing services who was rather kind, as I just walked in off the street to ask for two bags.

ASC1951

Guru
I just cannot see the point of a tarp, at least in the UK. All the disadvantages of tents, very few of the advantages and a load of problems of their own.

Their alleged usefulness is a washover from the US, which is a whole lot drier, much warmer in the outdoor season and full of people whose idea of camping is to pole up in a 5 Litre truck with all their supplies in a portable fridge.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

ASC1951 said:
I just cannot see the point of a tarp, at least in the UK. All the disadvantages of tents, very few of the advantages and a load of problems of their own.

Their alleged usefulness is a washover from the US, which is a whole lot drier, much warmer in the outdoor season and full of people whose idea of camping is to pole up in a 5 Litre truck with all their supplies in a portable fridge.

The point of having a tarp for me is it gives me a place to cook and sit in the evening when it rains. I don't really want to be stuck in my tent until I have to sleep. It can also be used escape showers during the day. It can be used to cover up the bike during the night.

A heavy and bulky tarp I agree would be excessive, I might as well get a larger tent. But a light tarp of around 300g and a pack size of a water bottle would be a good complement to my light weight 1-man tent.

ASC1951

Guru
Anthony said:
The point of having a tarp for me is it gives me a place to cook and sit in the evening when it rains. I don't really want to be stuck in my tent until I have to sleep.
Ah, I understand now - you want to use it in conjunction with a tent. Fair enough.

I don't think they are sensible as substitutes for a tent.

HelenD123

Guru
Anthony said:
A heavy and bulky tarp I agree would be excessive, I might as well get a larger tent. But a light tarp of around 300g and a pack size of a water bottle would be a good complement to my light weight 1-man tent.

Any recommendations?

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

HelenD123 said:
Any recommendations?

lol. not especially. I started the thread asking for recommendations about tarps. :biggrin:

Comedypilot suggested using a DD tarp which seems like a good solution. But I was also thinking about the msr e-wing, it's only 200g and very compact, but nobody here seems to know much about it.

I'm definitely going to buy one, but i'm still not sure what.

Echolalia

Veteran
Anthony said:
The point of having a tarp for me is it gives me a place to cook and sit in the evening when it rains. I don't really want to be stuck in my tent until I have to sleep. It can also be used escape showers during the day. It can be used to cover up the bike during the night.

What tent do you use Anthony?

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

Echolalia said:
What tent do you use Anthony?

I am the new owner of a green MSR Hubba HP tent. So far I am really impressed by it; It only weighs 1.3kg, packs really small, is freestanding, it is quick to set up and has a surprising amount head room for a 1 man tent.

Top Bottom