Taster sessions at Manchester Velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JM09

Hi everyone, was just hoping to get more information on the taster sessions at Manchester Velodrome. I have only ever rode a mountain bike and was wondering how hard is it to adapt to the bikes they provide? Also how long are the sessions and is there a waiting list?

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can book on any taster session - it lasts about an hour. Tasters cope with all abilities, so they won't send you to the top of the track unless you are comfortable. Just phone up and enquire about the next slot, explain you'll need a bike. You may have a few weeks wait.

One tip - don't stop pedalling ! :laugh: Oh and listen to the coach, and don't get too cocky as the track will bite back. And have fun !

OP
OP
J

JM09

You can book on any taster session - it lasts about an hour. Tasters cope with all abilities, so they won't send you to the top of the track unless you are comfortable. Just phone up and enquire about the next slot, explain you'll need a bike. You may have a few weeks wait.

One tip - don't stop pedalling ! :laugh: Oh and listen to the coach, and don't get too cocky as the track will bite back. And have fun !

Thanks! I will try and go in a few weeks. Also do you know anything about the accreditation system?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You first do the taster, then get on a few improvers courses at which, at some point you get a 'pink slip' (when the coach deems you competant) which then gets you on to SQT (Structured Quality Training).

Edwards80

Über Member
One of the chaps in my club says they are running extra taster sessions that aren't on the usual timetable so it is worth ringing up if you can't make it to any listed on the website.

I'm doing the "Skills Improver" on Monday. Can't wait.

It took me about 3 laps to get comfortable with the bike, the coaches are very helpful so I'm sure you'll adapt quickly enough :smile:

To repeat Fossy's tip . . . definitely don't stop pedalling :smile:

If you can go mid-week you might get on quite quickly, if, like me, you can only go at weekends then be prepared to wait.

I'm trying to book for Saturday 29th September but the date isn't even on the system yet, and everything upto then is booked solid, can't imagine why :whistle:

Also, you need to be a member of the National Cycling Centre before you can book. It's free and just involves filling in the form I've attached for you. Send it back to them and they set you up on the system, after that you can book :thumbsup:

Attachments

• health-questionnaire_contact_parental-consent-form - Copy.doc
    632 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
J

JM09

One of the chaps in my club says they are running extra taster sessions that aren't on the usual timetable so it is worth ringing up if you can't make it to any listed on the website.

I'm doing the "Skills Improver" on Monday. Can't wait.

It took me about 3 laps to get comfortable with the bike, the coaches are very helpful so I'm sure you'll adapt quickly enough :smile:

To repeat Fossy's tip . . . definitely don't stop pedalling :smile:

Thanks :smile: I'm going to ring them later on, see if i can get booked on in a few weeks!

OP
OP
J

JM09

If you can go mid-week you might get on quite quickly, if, like me, you can only go at weekends then be prepared to wait.

I'm trying to book for Saturday 29th September but the date isn't even on the system yet, and everything upto then is booked solid, can't imagine why :whistle:

Also, you need to be a member of the National Cycling Centre before you can book. It's free and just involves filling in the form I've attached for you. Send it back to them and they set you up on the system, after that you can book :thumbsup:

Haha, i was thinking it might be booked up because of the olympics :smile: most people will probably stop going in a few weeks. Thanks for the form will fill it in now

Paul_L

Über Member
I don't think the popularity is olympics based. Taster sessions are notoriously booked up months in advance, especially if you're in a group. If you're on your own, you may get the odd slot with availability. There are 16 people on a taster session.

I did two taster sessions before i got the blue slip.This gets you onto the improver sessions. The improver sessions are much easier to get onto, so this is one advantage of getting through the taster.

The format of the taster is about having fun, but safely and competently. You start off going round the flat floor at the bottom of the track to get used to the bike. After a couple of laps you'll then progress onto the Cote D'Azur (light blue strip at the base of the track) and build up speed until the coach deems you competent to go onto the track and stay on the sprint black line. Once your happy on that, the coach will tell you when he or she is happy for you to ride up on the banking. From then it's all about listening to the coach but enjoying yourself. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll go from sh!ting yourself to having the buzz of your life.

If you're interested in progression, you'll probably need at least 2 tasters to progress to the next stage. To progress you'll need to ride in a line of 4 on the stayers line (blue line half way up) for 20mins taking in turns at the front and swapping over safely. You'll also need to ride right at the very top of the track as well.

The next stage (taster improver) is more technical. I've only been on one taster improver and it isn't as hell for leather as the tasters. There's a lot more focus on constant pace and discipline. There's also a focus on riding slowly around obstacles.

It's fantastic.

Have fun.

Top Bottom