England : Bristol Tasty Cheddar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I've heard it's not too bad, but last year when I did it I was on 23s and didn't fancy the portway option so went through some different roads shadowing the pill path.
Pm me and If I can find it I'll ping you the gpx.
That's quite a nice Audax actually, I forgot about that one.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Im hoping to do it this year.will use the path unless weather has been wet prior to the event.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Firing off my application tomorrow. Reckon I'll be sticking to the official route all the way (however muddy) and treating it as an experience. I've done the Strawberry Line and the Pill path and Cheddar Gorge before, but don't know the rest of the route. Will be nice to see some of you guys again.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
KLM gifted me an extra night on the continent due to extensive delays in Schiphol, so I didn't make it to the start line.

I hope you all have a nice day out - I'll see if I can get down to the gorge tomorrow to compensate.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A great ride with notable fatbike riding pal. Good to see Andy @Donger at the start, hope the hills were duly overcome. There were some nasty climbs!!
Nice to see you again James, and to meet your friends. Not sure quite where I lost contact with the group, but it was all a bit Keystone Cops for a while there, with different groups going left, right and straight on. It carried on like that for me pretty much all the way. A miracle I found my way round at all. Every time I was certain I was irredeemably lost I either hit upon a landmark that was on the route, or someone else came by to rescue me and point me in the right direction. My first half was half a mile short, and my second half included an extra half mile (up a hill I didn't need to climb), so it balanced out at the correct distance somehow!

Some of those hills were just brutal. What a sadistic route. Crawled home in 6 hours 55 mins. For me that was just about the toughest ride I've ever done. Was well impressed with the speed Niall kept up on that fatbike. See you again on the circuit some time.
Donger.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The first half was comparatively easy but I found the parts after Cheddar very tough and navigation wasn't easy at all. Without the Garmin and Martin's GPS maps we'd have gone wrong. Watching the fat bike scalping roadies on the descents was fun but the climbs slowed it up somewhat! Glad you got round OK.. One to remember and perhaps revisit.

Pikey

The first half was comparatively easy but I found the parts after Cheddar very tough and navigation wasn't easy at all. Without the Garmin and Martin's GPS maps we'd have gone wrong. Watching the fat bike scalping roadies on the descents was fun but the climbs slowed it up somewhat! Glad you got round OK.. One to remember and perhaps revisit.

Sorry mate, I never emailed you the alternate route gpx. Been looking after a sick family member and not been near my home computer for weeks.
Sounds like you enjoyed it though...

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry mate, I never emailed you the alternate route gpx. Been looking after a sick family member and not been near my home computer for weeks.
Sounds like you enjoyed it though...

No worries Pikey, we took the Pill path anyway and it was fine. It had been dry for ages. The Portway/Pill Path are familiar anyway. It was the latter half which was more "interesting" - luckily the Edge 200's breadcrumb trail was pretty useful but a pal had GPS with maps on too, even more useful. Still recovering...

Pikey

No worries Pikey, we took the Pill path anyway and it was fine. It had been dry for ages. The Portway/Pill Path are familiar anyway. It was the latter half which was more "interesting" - luckily the Edge 200's breadcrumb trail was pretty useful but a pal had GPS with maps on too, even more useful. Still recovering...

Glad it went well.

The last time I rode the pill path, about six years ago, it was a foot or two under water in places :ohmy:

Last year the alternative route took me up some bloody great hill, but I was on skinny little 23's so didn't want to chance it.

Top Bottom