Taxi boss: 'cyclists are the Isis of London'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"
The head of London's biggest taxi drivers' association compares cyclists to terror group, as plan for new cycle 'superhighways' in the capital gets go-ahead"

The head of the largest taxi drivers' association in London has compared cyclists to the Islamist terror group Isis (Isil).

Speaking after Transport for London approved a plan for a series of new cycle 'superhighways' in the capital, the general secretary of the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association (LTDA) Steve McNamara also labelled cyclists "loonies" and revealed that he had received physical threats while the bike lane proposals were under consultation.

“The loonies out there in the cycling world, they’re almost the sort of Isis of London," he told LBC Radio. "Their views and their politics – if you are not with them – and we are with the majority of it – then nothing is too bad for you. These people are unreal."

"We have had cyber attacks on our websites," continued Mr McNamara. "They are all over us like a cheap suit on Twitter and social media. We have had physical threats of violence. You name it, we have had it."

Mr McNamara's comments come after an increasingly acrimonious consultation period was brought to an end by Transport for London's decision to give the cycle superhighways the green light on Wednesday.

The new bike lanes include an 18-mile segregated lane that will run from Acton in the west of the city to Tower Hill in the east.

Speaking to the Evening Standard after the LBC programme, Mr McNamara appeared to distance himself from his original comments. “Perhaps I would accept that was a bit strong," he said in relation to the Isis reference. "It was a live interview. I have had death threats."

"I’m convinced that if 99 per cent of cyclists knew some of the stuff we had received after expressing legitimate concerns, they would be horrified."

Chief among the LTDA's concerns is the re-routing of traffic around Westminster, where drivers coming from the south of London will no longer be able to turn right onto Embankment at Big Ben. Mr McNamara believes there is a better route for the superhighway that would see it avoid Parliament Square altogether.

The taxi drivers' body has threatened to seek a judicial appeal over TfL's decision, which could potentially delay the implementation of the scheme for months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...axi-boss-cyclists-are-the-Isis-of-London.html

http://road.cc/content/news/142307-taxi-leader-says-cyclists-are-isis-london

Absolutely disgusting comments

How can any sensible thinking person compare a person that rides a bike to the ISIS terrorist organisation.

I think there might be a slight difference between the two, don't you think.

Resignation is called for I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The taxi boss is obviously a bit of an idiot.

"I have had death threats. "They say, ‘I hope people you know die screaming of cancer’.

That's not a death threat.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 3521022, member: 45"]What does this teach us? That it takes death threats to stop some from being stupid.[/QUOTE]
I think it just teaches us that some people are stupid ..... sadly far too many.

subaqua

What’s the point
In the spirit of the last leg " stop being a dick".

Because not all cyclists want the pish poor scheme the east west highway is going to end up as.

I am going to run a book on

1) flooding
2) ice
3) a cyclist not using it being abused ( I hope not injured or worse)

A friend used Uber on a recent trip to London, as a treat for his GF. He used the executive service, the luxury service and the regular one. He says that he's never getting in a London black cab again as the Uber service was so excellent.
Me too. Put it on my wife's phone too remember her in soho waiting 10 minutes at midnight trying to hail a black cab. Now she can just press a button and go outside when it arrives and without needing loads of cash.

Keep it classy, LTDA:

Having called cycle campaigners 'sort of ISIS of London' @TheLTDA retweet a call to run over @MayorofLondon Classy

Close
B9jNTPYIMAEESCI.png

Top Bottom